24.

luke's pov

a couple weeks later, mom and dad flew in to help with funeral arrangements.

it was hard thinking about how i have to bury my little sister.

she didn't deserve how her life turned out and if i could have taken the pain away from her, i would have.

today was the day of the funeral.

i walked to my closet and grabbed my best black suit before putting it on.

i looked in the mirror and couldn't help but feel a wave of emotions come across me.

i quickly cleared my throat and walked downstairs to see the boys waiting for me, all dressed in their best suits.

"where's mom and dad?" i asked.

"they left early to go help set up. are you okay?" ashton asked as he gave me a sympathetic look.

"i'm fine mates. thank you for being here with me through this." i sighed as i slipped on dress shoes.

"of course. we wouldn't leave you alone through this. we all loved savannah." calum pointed out.

i nodded and slowly walked towards the door and into the car.

we eventually ended up at the funeral home where mom and dad were outside greeting people.

mom looked terrible. she wasn't eating or sleeping.

dad blocked everyone out. he didn't know how to process the loss of savannah.

i walked over and stood by them greeting people as they walked inside.

i saw sierra walk up with a sad look in her eyes.

"i'm so sorry luke." she whispered as she held my hand tightly.

"thank you for coming." i chocked out.

she nodded with a tiny sympathetic smile before walking inside.

soon enough, the funeral began.

"hello everyone. thank you so much for coming here to celebrate savannah hemmings life. while i did not know her personally, i have heard many great facts about her that make her stand out." the priest began.

the rest of the speech he gave, i drowned out.

i couldn't listen to him talk about her.

it was all too new.

"would anyone like to come up and speak about savannah?" the priest asked.

i slowly raised my hand and walked up to the podium.

"hi, for those who don't know me, my name is luke hemmings and i am savannah's older brother. i'll be totally honest, i didn't know if i was going to have the emotional control to come up here and talk without crying. my sister was my best friend. s-she was someone who brought light into my life. she had her struggles and like any siblings we fought, but i loved her regardless." i spoke before pausing as i felt tears enter my eyes.

"i guess what i'm trying to say is, my sister was an amazing person. she cared for animals, she would stop and help those in need, she would go out of her way to make sure that if you were sad, you would be okay. i choose to believe that even if she's not here physically, she is with me in spirit. i love you savannah. you were so strong." i finished as i walked back down to the chairs.

a few more people went up and talked before coming down and walking outside to bury savannah.

as she was lowered to the ground, my mom broke down sobbing and dropped to her knees.

"my poor baby." she whispered as she sat near the casket.

dad sat by her and supported her with tears in his own eyes.

hours went by and eventually everyone left but sierra and i.

"you can go if you need too." i mumbled.

"do you want me to go?" sierra asked.

"no." i whispered as i sunk down to my knees.

"oh luke." she sighed as she dropped down next to me and hugged me.

"we're going to be okay." sierra whispered.

were we though?