Book 2 Recap

Recap Book 2

"Valkyries retreat!"

The command sounded harshly in the ears of Koleston's guardian squad. Sunlight reflected off their light armor, newly designed and more resistant than any armor worn before. The metal was as flexible as silk and designed with the intricate white and gold accents of the Valkyrie order. The color scheme became uniform after the Reclamation of Vienna those five hundred years prior. Blades and spears slid out of the Honkai beast-like ghostly apparitions. If not for the groans of pain and the slow degradation of the draining Honkai bodies the Valkyries would've sworn they hadn't sundered any of them. Despite the striking improvement in protection and flexibility of their armor and the divine enhancement of their weaponry, the Valkyries had a mood opposite to the sun.

"There's more than usual." One grumbled while dabbling her bruises with medical ointment.

Another inhaled the herbal fumes without so much as a scrunch in discomfort. Sweat soaked her gear, cooling her body beyond the necessary point. She could catch of cold if she didn't return home immediately. Shivers rocked her body and the body of a third Valkyrie that bore her weight. Blood and

grime covered their brown hair.

"Even if there's more than usual the Maiden should have taken care of them all."

"Ha, those times were the worse. Honestly, we were better off without her. The North only had beasts roaring. A horde hasn't assailed our walls for over a half year. Perhaps they were fighting amongst themselves."

"Or breeding. Can they even breed?"

"Who knows? The church doesn't exactly tell us where they come from. It's God's punishment. Trials?"

"No that's not what the scriptures say. This must be retaliation. We've rid ourselves of the devil, so his minions are set upon us."

"But of course." The exhausted Valkyrie grumbled. "No matter what the age we're never safe. Soldiers and Valkyries are always paying in blood for the safety of the weak."

"Don't think of it like that. It's not only our duty but our livelihood. Statue and honor, we've got plenty of money to spend no matter the times."

"How will we live to enjoy it if we're deployed every day?"

"Look on the bright side at least we're not soldiers."

"Fodder you mean? It's ridiculous. Our lives are worth more just because we're stronger but they're equally as brave. It's unfair."

"We've got just to live on for them. He would want you to live on for him."

Those last words echoed a dying sentiment. Weathered and aged veterans all knew that the fight against Honkai was never-ending. It had only been a few weeks after the devil's execution. The symbol of the previous corrupt era had been extinguished and a new generation of peace was supposed to ensue. Perhaps there needed to be a little work done but even the new symbol, the Holy Maiden of the past, didn't seem to have her previous luster.

The reinstated captain of Koleston's Valkyries sat atop an immense beast, knees to her chest, eyes absent. The fight was a grueling challenge, emperor class, with her injuries to boot. Kallen managed with the Oath of Judah that her uncle returned to her in her declaration ceremony. Her Oath to be the Shield of the people resounded far and wide. Stirring up sentiments in all the nations of Europe. Politics, it seemed that was all she was used for. Kallen didn't even write her speech. It was her uncle that doctored her words with the promise of safety and peace. Ill-equipped to handle the sea of diplomacy and policy, Kallen could only trust Cain Kaslana, a rather emotionally distant uncle.