Chapter 77

Some things you can never leave behind

Some things you can never leave behind. Maybe the person will not be with you but the memory will.

It's been three days since I lost him. Three days since I saw that irritable frown in his face and the way his lips pulled in smirk when he flirts with me. I didn't know I would miss it but we all know, we miss the things when it was snatched away from us unexpectedly.

I didn't cry. I couldn't. The weeping seems like a smaller feeling than the one I am feeling currently. The clouds rolled heavily in the sky outside the window, matching my insides.

I stared at myself in the mirror, the self loathing burned fiercely. I always tend to do reckless things and then it messes up. I couldn't look at it. I turned my face away, heaving a sigh.

The knock on my door alerted me. I stayed still until dad entered, wearing a suit and his eyes reading me.

"It's time" he spoke two words. For a moment I wish he hadn't pulled me out of the water three days back. It would've been easy. But that sounds so selfish and I hated myself more for it.

Even Damie would hate me for it.

The funeral is finally set up. We came to Russia last night. The current occurrence of what's going on around me is all blur. Dad and others are taking care of everything that has happened after the war.

Zade is fine, in a coma but fine. Xavier said he will wake up in a day or two.

I nod at dad, standing up. I clutched the dress in my fist, the anxiety of facing everyone slammed hard. I had avoided meeting everyone. Not because I'm fearing their reactions or anything. I heard Luciano last night, crying. He never cries. I never saw him cry. Angelina was beside him, consoling him. I wanted to go to him and do that too but I couldn't.

Coward, my inner monster had taunted me all night.

"Let me make your hair" he said, grabbing the brush from vanity. I haven't noticed how bad that looks. I cringed inwardly at my pathetic crisis.

"Sorry" I Muttered slowly, he sighs. Again. But he didn't say anything and I was glad.

He carefully combed my hair, gently surveying the hard knots with a brush. Then he pins it with two clips. It was a bit messy but I look more than fine.

"Thanks"

"It's fine" He kissed my forehead, his one arm wrapped around my shoulder, giving me strength to face this misery.

"Let's go"

I took his hand and gave him a small smile but it didn't feel genuine and he noticed it too.

When we entered the living room of the penthouse, everyone was there, dressed for the funeral.

"I'll get the car ready" Silas said, taking the lead. My eyes give a daring glance at others, they all seem tired. I looked down, walking out instantly towards the two cars and taking a seat in the back. Angelina and Luciano enter too. Lina gave my hand a quick squeeze.