Chapter 19

The glass shattered on the floor a bit too dramatically

"Fuck" I muttered as I pinch the bridge of my nose. When I look at the time, it's past midnight. Everyone is already asleep. I should be sleeping too but I couldn't.

I closed the folder which has all the information about attacks recently. Not just on our mafia but all over the other mafia families. They are interconnected. Whoever the fucker is, thinks he is smart and two steps ahead but everyone makes mistakes. The overconfidence makes mistakes and I plan to put an end to it.

In the last shipment, millions were stolen, so many of my men dying. I do not care about money but those men were loyal to this mafia and dedicated their life to us. I couldn't bring them back nor look after their family the way they did but at least I can find the murderer and justice their death.

In our mafia family we never let any innocent person die. No drugs or child trafficking or anything. We did some illegal trade but it was only with weapons. And after I took over the mafia I tried to keep it to a minimum.

I was abused by my very own mother. It didn't break me, it just made me stronger. Only if I go back in time and change a few things. The only thing would be me not abandoning my child. Evelyn.

I never wanted to be part of the mafia but it's the legacy. Because of this I lost my sister. I lost so many years of my own flesh, my own child. I don't have a choice so it's better I suck it up.

I sighed heavily before putting the folder away on the shelf and bent down to pick up the glass piece.

The glass cut the skin of my palm but I didn't even flinch. The pain is natural to my skin. I have so many scars, they just remind me of who I am. I never told anyone but I did tell Evelyn. Maybe because she didn't give me those pity eyes. She understands, just like that.
Putting away the last piece, I stand grabbing my phone and shutting the laptop.

When I walked out of my office, the light in the lab across the room was on. The medical room was closed so I don't think Xavier was treating someone.

I walked towards the room, closing the door behind me. The room was very white and sterile. The smell of chemicals and drugs lingering in the air.

Xav and Nick were sitting going through some documents and so many test tubes and something else splatter into the table.

"What are you guys doing?" I asked, making my presence known in the room.
Both of them turned towards me, the laptop shut more harshly.

Whoa!

"Hey Alex" Xavier spoke first. Nick just nodded in acknowledgement. He is always less spoken. He is more of an action person type. I still don't know how he and Eve get along. Both of them are like werewolves, mind linking.

It's disturbing because I'm a jealous asshole? Maybe.

Even Xavier had bonded instantly with her. There's no shit there. He is always such a cheery and softy bear.