Chapter 40

I think I've reached the end

It feels like one even though I know it's just the beginning. Beginning of something more destructive and more deaths written upon by my fate.

And here, at the beginning line, I am suddenly frozen and cold from numbness, unable to articulate in any number of words for how helpless I feel in my bones.

"Do something, please" I begged no one in particular.

Xavier was kneeling beside me, pressing on dad's chest. I can't feel his pulse. I can't feel his warmth. It's terrifying. My grip on his hand tightened.

I can hear loud noises and chaos spreading up but I can't hear anything. I can't see anything except him.

The cold should be a good sign, but it isn’t. The blood on my hands won’t disappear and neither will the tremor shooting through my body.

Is this how you feel to love someone so fiercely and then losing them?

I have killed so many people, I look in the eyes of dying people and see them losing their life. Nothing ever made me flinch a second but this.

This feels like hell, a burning hell where I'm burning alone and I have nothing, no time to hold. It's slipping like ashes from my hand.

This is real.

This is the nightmare I dream about everyday.

No.

No

My dry lips tremble as I push Xavier aside. My bloody hands cupped his jaw as I shook him.

"You can't give up on me. You have to fucking live" I sobbed. "You promised me, you won't leave me again" I sobbed harder.

I wiped my tears furiously away. A large palm covered my hand gently. I look up to see grandpa staring at me with blood red eyes. His expression was stricken with grief and I could feel him grieving.

Why is he grieving?

Dad isn't dead. he won't leave me.

He won't.

He had promised me.

"We should leave, Evelyn," He called out.
He never called me out with my own name. It was like a straight punch to my gut. He hates me.

Everyone hates me.

My eyes roamed to other family members, they were fighting with Rex's men. They are fighting to save each other.

I remember grandpa's words. Family always comes first, they protect each other, they stand by each other, they love each other and they'll die to save their own blood.

"What are you doing?" I look up to the voice, the violet eyes staring me down in warning.

"Saving him"