Chapter 26

The two of you enter Jeff's bedroom, and he closes the door behind you with a soft click. You turn to your... boyfriend? It's not like you had the time to talk things over, thanks to the other guys so blatantly ruining the moment.

It seems like Jeff has somewhat similar feelings, as he looks like a deer in the headlights, his eyes darting between your joined hands and the bed.

"Why don't we sit?" you propose, trying to be responsible despite knowing that talking is the last thing you want to do right now (you'd prefer for your actions to convey your feelings). The two of you sit at the edge of the bed, letting the silence envelop you. Jeff shifts a little closer, just close enough so that your thighs touch.

"Do you want to start or should I?" You nudge him, having a slight suspicion that this is a very new situation for him. The dating pool must be pretty limited when you're a serial killer.

"Do we have to talk about it?" Jeff asks, turning to look you in the eye. "Can't we just, you know, go with the flow?" He leans closer, trying to capture your mouth in a kiss, but you stop him with your hand, his pursed lips meeting your fingers.

"I'll start then." You chuckle, rolling your eyes. "I like you, Jeff. I think you're pretty cool- not to mention your killer sense of humor." It's his turn to laugh, his voice sending pleasant vibrations through your hand and into your body. "There's been a lot going on recently, and I know we haven't known each other that long, but... I think I want to give the two of us a try. I want to know more about you." You smile, hoping he can see it through the shadows surrounding your face.

You freeze - your disguise. You completely forgot about it. Jeff still doesn't know that... that you're just human. A boring old human without any special powers.

Would he... would he still hold your hand like that if he knew?

You swallow the lump in your throat, pushing the thought as far back as you can. You'll think about it later; secret identities are at least a third date topic.

...right?

"Well," Jeff finally starts, and you shift your focus back to him. "I... I like you too. A lot, I think. Haven't felt like this about anyone, ever." He visibly cringes. "Ugh, why is this so hard to talk about?! I am literally 23 years old."

"You are? Sheesh." You interject, making him look at you unamused. "No, I just realized that we're not that far apart. That's nice!"

"Right... but yeah, I think you're pretty neat. I know we're not normal people under normal circumstances, but..." He bites his lip, thinking about his next words. "Let's say that in another life, I would have really liked just doing laundry and taxes with you."

You can't help but snort at that. "Did you just quote a movie as a part of your confession?"

"I- I panicked!" Jeff stutters, suddenly very interested in anywhere but your face. "And it's not like you're that smooth either, like, 'killer sense of humor,' please-" He never has a chance to finish as you bring your lips to his, cutting him off with a soft kiss.

He freezes, just for a second, before relaxing against your mouth. Jeff lets go of your hand to instead bring it to the nape of your neck, trying to get even closer as he tilts your head, deepening the kiss.

You lick his lower lip, an open invitation that he graciously takes, opening his mouth more so that your tongue can enter. Jeff groans into the kiss, and you can't hold back anymore, pushing his back onto the mattress so that you can straddle his hips.

He gasps, and you take the opportunity to shift your lips lower, placing them on his jaw instead. It's almost addicting to feel his scarred flesh under your tongue. You lick a long, wet stripe along the length of his neck before stopping at the line of his jaw, gently nipping his skin.