Chapter 4

You stand up from the couch as the dog walks toward you. You glance at Slenderman for approval, and the creature nods, watching quietly from the side.

The closer the dog gets, the more details start to become clear. How the dark mass on his head is actually hair, and how his wide white smile consists of human teeth.

You take a deep breath and go on one knee, extending your arm towards the monster. It tilts its head, curious about your approach as its smile widens even more.

When it finally reaches you it doesn't attack. Instead, it just puts its nose against your hand, sniffing it for a moment before giving it a wet lick.

"Smile likes you," states Slenderman, content in his observation as you start petting the dog. "That is good. I hope the others will treat you right too-"

"Great distraction Smile! My turn!" The dog jumps to the side, and you look up just in time to see another person tackle you to the ground.

You land on your back and before you have a chance to open your mouth, there's a knife on your throat and a person straddling your hips.

Looking up with gritted teeth at your attacker, you've met with what you can only describe as a face of nightmares.

It's framed with a nest of messy black hair, strands of different lengths pointing in every possible direction, with scarred skin so pale it could rival Slenderman's.

It appears as if he has no eyelids - his eyes are absurdly round. The skin around them is not visible, just as if he covered it with some kind of black paint or eyeshadow.

But God, his mouth.

It's stretched, no, carved, in an unnatural, never fading grin. His cheeks are missing so much skin that you can see his entire jaw.

Compared to the rest of his face, his mouth is by far in the worst condition. It looks as if it never received enough time and care to properly heal.

Blood drips from somewhere on his mouth on your mask and you can't help but shiver with disgust.

"Now," The man asks with a cocky grin. "What do we have here?"

His smug expression coupled with his tone is enough for you to snap out of your initial shock. Without a word, you seize the hand clutching the knife and apply pressure to the right points, forcing him to release his grip. The blade plummets just short of your neck, embedding into the wooden floor beside your head. You drive your knee into his stomach and hook your leg around his waist, positioning yourself on top of him instead.

He tries to struggle against your grip but freezes as you press the knife against his throat, a small bead of blood forming where the blade meets his porcelain skin. You glance at the dog, wholly expecting the monstrum to attack you but the animal appears to have other things in mind, keeping its distance as it looks at you with the aura of respect.

The man beneath you buckles his hips trying to throw you off and you're reminded that you are yet to answer his question.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" You say, trying to make your voice sound more menacing than usual. And as you raise your hand, ready to land a finishing blow, a back tentacle wraps around your middle, suspending you in the air. Another shadowy tendril takes the knife out of your hand, throwing it on the floor, essentially disarming you.

The man on the floor props up himself on his elbows, now looking at you with sick fascination rather than murderous intent.

You want to wipe that ugly grin off his face.

"Jeff, this is my new proxy, they are off-limits. Do not try to fight them again, their demonic powers will surely crush you." You can feel the wink Slenderman sends you telepathically and can't help but roll your eyes.

"Jeff?" You chuckle, earning a glare from the man in question. "What kind of name is that?"

"At least my clothes are more slick, not some kind of neon warning sign!" You quickly look down at your costume, suddenly all too aware of its colorful accents. "What is your name anyway?!"

"It's, yyy..." You haven't thought about that section of your plan yet. To be frank, you thought you'd have more time. "...yyyyenne. The name's Yenne." Ok, that sounds at least vaguely demonic, right?

"That's the shittiest demon name I've heard." The man replies, finally getting up from the ground. As he moves, you can't help but stare at his face, intrigued by its deteriorated state.

"Still better than Jeff."

"Okay, Mrx. Neon-sign."

"At least my outfit is cool."

"Mine is efficient-"

"Efficient at gathering stains! Why is it so white?"

"I- you're literally wearing white too-"

"ENOUGH." Slenderman's voice rings through your head, and based on the startled expression on Jeff's face, through his as well. "Jeff, you have been living here for over 10 years. I expect better from you."

The man rolls his eyes, but doesn't argue as he bends down to pick up his knife. "I'm sorry." He says through his teeth. "They started it."

"You literally attacked me-"

"Yeah! Cuz Smile smelled fresh meat!"

"What does that even mean-" You want to argue more but the grip Slenderman has on you tightens, urging you to calm down. "Nevermind."

"Jeff, as your punishment, and since you so nicely volunteered," Slenderman picks up with an unnatural tint of mischief in his voice. "Why don't you show Yenne around?"

"WHAT!?"