Chapter 5

"Why the fuck do I have to babysit the new guy!?" Whines Jeff, clearly annoyed by this whole situation as he flops next to you on the couch. Or rather, on the opposite end of it. "Why can't you do it, huh? Aren't they your responsibility?"

Slenderman doesn't immediately humor him with an answer and just looms over the two of you akin to a disappointed father.

"I have to go out and take care of some important business. Something your feeble mind surely can't comprehend." He states, voice cold and stern, almost as if he had this talk with Jeff a million times.

"Well, then I guess they'll just have to wait for you to come back." Jeff huffs, standing up from the couch only to be pushed back by a black tentacle.

"Jeffrey." You can't help but snort at the guy's full name, earning yourself another hateful glare. "I am not asking; you will show Yenne around. You should know this place better than anyone, maybe apart from my proxies- no, Masky and Hoody are not available right now." The tall man silences Jeff before the other has a chance to open his mouth. "Toby too. If I remember correctly he is out with Jack."

Jeff groans in exasperation, his scarred face buried in his hands. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

"Oi, why don't you just grow a pair and show me around?" You suggest, offering him your hand. "Truce?" He doesn't budge, eyeing your shadowy palm with suspicion. "Listen," You continue in a hushed, yet sharp tone. "I'm obviously not thrilled about this either. If not out of the 'goodness of your heart', do it out of obligation. Listen to your boss and give me a god-dammed tour."

"Ugh, fine." Jeff eventually replies, but instead of shaking your hand, he goes at it with his knife - an action you were (thankfully) expecting. You knock it out of his hand and skilfully catch it with yours. "Man, you're no fun." He huffs, but you can see a shadow of a smile behind his messy, black hair. "I'll get you one day."

"You can certainly try." You tease, offering him a smirk of your own. The corner of your mouth touches your mask so you opt to use your words just to make sure you're on the same page. "...Jeffrey."

"You little-"

"Seeing as this is sorted, I believe it is time for me to leave." Slenderman states, slowly retracting his tentacles. "Yenne, do not hesitate to contact me if anything happens." You nod, and with that, the tall man disappears, probably already miles away.

You look at Jeff, his unblinking eyes staring right back, their intensity almost unsettling.

"So," You pick up. "What's the story behind your ugly mug?"

"I'll tell you if you show me your face, teacher's pet." 

You gasp. "I am not."

"Yeah?" Jeff gets up from the couch, putting his knife away in the sheath on his belt. "Then why was bossman so protective of you?"

"It's..." You pause, carefully thinking over your next words. "Complicated." It sends Jeff into a fit of giggles, the man almost bending over in laughter.

"Complicated." He repeats in a mocking tone. "As if my life has been sunshine and rainbows." He whistles, reminding you that there's one more creature in the room. Smile dog raises from the couch, obediently trailing behind the man. "Come on, Yenne. Let me give you a tour." He motions for you to follow, and together, you exit the room.