Chapter 25

You sit there in complete shock, wondering whether or not you're still dreaming.

Jeff just... kissed you?

This is much better than your last dream, the one where you had a chat with... a powerful, malevolent... monster...

You take your hand out of Jeff's grasp, putting it on your chest instead, trying to calm your rapidly beating heart.

"Oh, was that... was that not okay?" Jeff mumbles, nervously scratching the back of his head. "Fuck, I should have asked-"

"No, no, it was perfect!" You rush to comfort him, not wanting this opportunity to pass you by. "It's just..." A pair of dark, voiceless eyes flashes through your mind, making you visibly flinch.

"I knew it." Jeff scoffs, hitting himself on the head in frustration as he looks at Jane's sleeping form with disdain. "There is a guy; she just wanted to play with my feelings."

"Guy? What guy-"

"The guy you and Jane were talking about!" He exclaims, Jane finally stirring at the mention of her name.

"Hmm?" She blinks, taking in the scene before her. "Oh shit, you're having 'The Talk.' I'm out of here." The woman doesn't wait a second longer before running out of the room, throwing you one last thumbs-up before disappearing around the corner.

"We weren't talking about anyone..." You whisper, needing a few seconds to remember what the two of you had actually talked about. You and Jane discussed many things: your childhood crushes, your favorite weapons, the monsters residing in the mansion, your love life...

A realization dawns on you. There was one person you talked with Jane about in that context, and that person was none other than-

"Jeff, you absolute moron-" You start, unable to hold in your laughter at the sheer absurdity of it all.

"Hey, what's so funny?" Jeff asks, his voice full of genuine hurt. "You don't see me laughing- and that's kind of my whole shtick!"

"Jeff." You cut him off, drying the corners of your eyes. "I'm sorry, it's just-" You let out one last chuckle before placing your hand on his, your fingers intertwining on the couch's leather surface. "We were talking about you. You're my guy."

"...huh?" Is his only response, eyes darting between your face and your joined hands.

"You are! I can't believe you didn't catch that, I name-dropped you a couple of times during that conversation." You smile, running your fingers across his scarred knuckles.

"Well, I-" Jeff starts, turning red like a beet. "First of all, eavesdropping is like, very uncool, and second..." He trails off, thinking back to what he did after overhearing that conversation. "Um, it hurt to listen to, you know? I was jealous." Well, he's technically not lying.

You smile at Jeff, tentatively reaching out to touch his face. You like the feel of its texture under your fingers, you note, brushing your thumb along the edges of his scarred smile. Jeff gulps, his tongue darting out to lick his lips. You follow its movement with your eyes, suddenly feeling very thirsty as you lick yours.

"Can I?" You ask, shifting closer to him on the couch. Jeff nods vigorously, also leaning towards you, lips parted as he looks into your eyes for any signs of uncertainty.

"Yeah..." It's barely a whisper, yet you hear it loud and clear, giving him one last nod before your lips finally touch.

It's awkward, like all first kisses are. The angle is weird, his lips are chapped, your teeth click against each other, and yet... it's perfect.