Chapter 9

Your first morning at the Slender Mansion wasn't ideal. First, the rude awakening, then BEN setting off Jeff after you... and now, you're standing in the middle of the room like a deer in headlights, four more people that you've never met looking at you with interest and... and something else you're not sure you want to think about.

The person who unnerves you the most - at least, for now - is undoubtedly Jack. While Toby's stare is just as intense, Jack's deep, bottomless eye sockets follow your every move, watching you as if he knows exactly who you are.

Well, you think to yourself, at least we're all vaguely in the same area of business. Surely it won't be that hard.

"I must say, I love the way you throw Jeff around. Glad to see that new blood isn't afraid to put him in his place." Masky's comment earns an offended gasp from the man in question, Jeff throwing daggers from where he sits across from the proxies. You've already gone over the basic introductions and now you were all just sitting at the living room table, your anxiety slowly disappearing as you begin to feel more comfortable in the group.

"They only won cause they were cheating." Argues Jeff. "Slenderman said they're demonic or some shit, there's a clear power imbalance."

"Y̸o̷u̶ ̴a̷r̶e̷?̵ ̴H̴o̴w̶ ̷i̵n̴t̷e̶r̸e̶s̴t̵i̸n̵g̷...̴" Says Jack, his hoarse and eerie voice making the people around him flinch.

Fuck.

"I am- but really, it's nothing worth talking about." You laugh nervously, your sudden dismissal earning a raised eyebrow from BEN. "There are much cooler demons roaming these halls. Much more dangerous than lil ole me..."

"I want to test this theory." Quips Toby, all heads turning his way. "L-lets fight; you vs the other proxies. It's fair game since you're stronger than us, right J-ack?" The masked demon nods and you curse under your breath. These two are smart, they know something's up. But then, you're not a very good liar. You've always been better with blades than people.

Toby hums, leaning back into his chair with a sleazy grin, thankfully covered by his hoodie. He's Slenderman's top proxy, of course, he already knew about you. During one of their shared patrols, Slenderman told him about you in secrecy, admitting in a moment or weakness that there was one person he cared about more than the whole world. A person who knows that he's a monster but somehow treats them like a father they never really had. How Slenderman would never allow them to join him at the mansion, too paranoid for their safety to do so.

Old man must have changed his mind, thinks Toby, studying you under his gaze.  And you, for some reason, changed your name.

You're Slenderman's weakness, his most trusted person.

The brunette scoffs behind his jumper.

It should be him, not you.

"Come on Y-yenne, this will be fun!" He continues, unable to suppress a giggle. "Slederman chose you for a reason, right?"

You look around the room for a lifeline, an easy escape, only to find that the other men all look at you with anticipation, all too eager to see a fight. Your eyes lock with Jeff's, asking him a silent question. 'Do you think I can win?'

Jeff stares back, looking at you - looking through you - trying to dissect you with his eyes. After a few seconds, he just starts laughing, throwing an arm around your shoulder.

You tense under his touch; not only because you're surprised that he's touching you at all, but also that he's seemingly doing it out of fondness and not murderous intent. "If anyone can kick your guys' asses- it's Yenne. And believe me when I say, it'll be a pleasure to watch."

"Aaaaaand he made it weird." Mutters Hoody, rolling his eyes.

"Ohoho~" Laughs BEN, looking between you and the other proxies. "Now it's on. You four gonna fight here or...?"

"Outside." Replies Masky. While his mask might cover his face, it's obvious that the other is smirking from the tone of his voice alone, the man eager to prove himself. "We can easily take you."

"In a fight." Quietly adds Hoody, tugging the other's sleeve as he gets up to leave. "He meant in a fight."

"What else did you think I meant-" Masky splutters as he follows behind his friend, the tips of his ears uncharacteristically red.

Toby gets up just before you do, eyeing you up and down one last time before he goes to retrieve his axe, the weapon still stuck in the grandfather clock.

You take a deep breath, collecting yourself. You shrug Jeff's arm off your shoulders and go to exit the room.

It's go time.