Chapter 11

The further you walk the more your arm starts to ache, the blood loss taking a toll on your body. You tighten your hand around your wound - taking out the knife might not have been the best idea.

Logically, you know that you won't die from such a mundane cut; you've withstood bigger, more deadly injuries. Still, it fucking hurts.

It takes you a few minutes, but eventually you arrive at your destination.

Your gaze falls upon the damp ground in front of a tall spruce tree, at the bushes who despite the passage of time still bear the bloodstains from that faithful day.

It's your favorite spot, one you've returned to countless times over the years

You walk up and sink to your knees as you touch the trunk. The sensation of the scaly bark under your fingers makes you release a shaky breath you didn't realize you were holding.

You're fine, you're okay, you keep repeating, almost like a mantra in your head. You're fine, you're okay, you're fine, you're okay, you're fine-

You take off your mask, drying your tears before they dare to fall.

Very mature, you think, crying over a mere flesh wound. It's not like you never got hurt on the job.

...but this one feels different.

This is the supernatural world, a realm where other creatures, other... murderers roam freely. Your own carelessness brought you here, it really shouldn't hurt as much as it does. Actually, you should be glad that Masky aimed for your shoulder. He could have easily gone for the head-

You shake your head, dismissing the thought.

Maybe this is what Slenderman meant. Maybe it's not the job itself, but rather the people around who make it feel like such a chore. It's somewhat funny that it wasn't even a monster that hurt you, just another, 'boring' human.

You press your forehead against the tree and close your eyes.

At this point, you're pretty sure Jack has seen through your disguise. There goes your cover. Although, he hasn't said anything to the others yet, so maybe you're in the clear? Or maybe, he has an ulterior motive... only time will tell.

And Toby... that bastard. He had to know something too, there must have been a reason for him to look at you with such disgust. 

God, this is too much.

It hasn't even been a day, and yet you're already yearning for the time when your biggest concern was Jeff's pitiful attempts at taking your life. It at least helped to take your thoughts off your near-death experience.

Your thoughts circle back to the man, to his words of encouragement before your fight. Despite Jeff's... erratic behavior, you couldn't deny that he was starting to grow on you. Sure, he was still a psychotic killer (nobody's perfect), but as he said, perhaps you just got off on the wrong foot. Maybe, just maybe, he could be your first friend here. 

You remember the warmth of his arm as he threw it across your shoulders, how he held you firmly against his side...

A gentle heat rises to your cheeks, making you freeze.

This is the last thing you need right now- a crush. And on Jeff, like, really?  You couldn't have picked someone that doesn't look like a fire safety commercial? Then again, you've always had a taste for danger...

As if this couldn't get any worse,  a sharp wave of pain ripples through your arm, reminding you of your injury.

"Shit." You mutter under your breath, hissing in pain as you take your palm off your injury, your fingers coming away with dried blood, only worsening the situation.

Oh, this looks bad.

"Want some help?"

You flinch, putting your mask back in a hurry as you elbow the person behind you in the stomach. Only after hitting him, do you realize that it's-

"Jeff?!" Jesus fuck, of course, it had to be him that you hit. Life is really out to get you. "What are you doing here? And oh, forgive me. Force of habit."

"No problem, dollface. If anything, it's an honor. The way you handled those three... Damn, I need to spar with you sometime. There's so much I could learn." Jeff sounds strangely wistful, and you can't help but wonder if it's genuine or just your wishful thinking. "Anyway, enough about that. How's your arm?"

Jeff kneels on the ground next to you, inspecting the crimson bloodstains on your shirt. "Fuuck, Masky got you good. But hey, at least you got him back, right?"

"I'm pretty sure I gave him a concussion." You chuckle. Jeff hums in affirmation and without a warning, tears off a sizeable part of his sleeve. As he reaches out to touch your wound, your exposed skin surrounded by shadows, you instinctively retract. "What do you think you're doing?"

"What do you think, dumbass? I'm patching you up." He rolls his eyes at your question. "Come on, give me your arm." You look him in the eye, searching for an excuse to say no, a hint of malice, anything. Instead, you see only determination, the jet-haired man genuinely eager to help you with your injury.

"...okay."  You finally say, rolling up your sleeve. "I trust you." You hiss as the blood-soaked cloth leaves your arm, exposing your wound. It's only then that you notice that the shadows Slenderman gave you to 'spice up' your disguise have changed around your injury, now pulsing with deep maroon instead of black.

"Ok, I won't lie. I can't see shit." Jeff states, prompting you to snort. You appreciate that even if he doesn't help you with your wound, he at least lifts your spirits. "Still, you might want to get this one checked. I'm not sure when Masky last cleaned his knife."

"How amazing." You huff, resigned. Another thing that you'll have to take care of, great.

"Oi, now don't be dramatic. At least you won, right?" Jeff notes as he secures the white fabric around your wound. "You even managed to rub it in Jack's face; he was willing to bet that you'd lose." He laughs.

"Of course he did. That mf probably has me all figured out." You reply, observing Jeff's handiwork. "He must be an actual- I mean, a demonic entity too. He probably just felt threatened by my sheer presence."

Jeff pauses for a second and you curse yourself for that slip of the tongue.

"What are you hiding, Yenne?" He asks, and you can't help but shiver as the 'care' in his voice is seemingly replaced by... obsession? That's the only word you can think of. "What lies behind your mask?" Jeff drops your arm, reaching toward your face instead.

You jump to your feet, covering your mask with your hands. "Don't!" You scream, voice laced with panic. "What is wrong with you?"

"You have to be something powerful, I just know it. You proved Jack wrong, you beat up the other three..." He joins you on his feet. "Come on, I just need a peek. Are your eyes void, like EJ's? Or maybe some other funky color. Haven't seen someone with violet eyes in a while - are they purple? Or maybe neon red-" He reaches again but you just slap his hand away.

"You're insufferable, I can't believe I thought- UGH!" You huff and turn on your heel, heading back towards the mansion.

"Oh come on, can't a guy be curious?" Jeff laughs, following close behind.