Chapter 14

Jeff didn't question the sudden existence of an extra bed in his room. He just shrugged and facepalmed onto his mattress, his clothes torn and ridden with bloodstains that weren't there before. You didn't ask questions about his state either- why would you? You knew precisely what Jeff the Killer does.

When you wake up the next day you decide to explore the mansion more on your own, feeling more confident with your ability to find your way around it.

You go through some rooms that you have already seen and pass by places that you're sure weren't there before. It's tricky, but eventually, you get a hang of its maze of corridors, mapping the paths in your mind. You even say hi to some of the monsters that you happen to stumble upon. One such instance ends with you conversing with a big, moth-like creature about the weather in Ohio.

Who knew Mothman was real?

As you continue exploring, a new door suddenly materializes on the wall next to you. You pause, as this is the first time you've seen the place shift from up this close, only to witness two familiar figures emerge from the said door not a moment later.

Two figures you hoped you could avoid.

"Masky, Hoody, hi!" You say, cringing at how fake your enthusiasm sounded. "So... how's your head?"

"Oh, this thing?" The man in the yellow jacket points to the white bandage wrapped securely around his head. "I've had worse. But hey, at least you didn't aim to kill." You both chuckle, though you unconsciously grip your injured arm. "What about you?"

"Well, Sle-" You pause for a second, thinking over your next words. "-sadly, you cut me pretty deep. I'm just keeping it under wraps for now."

"You're not mad at us, right?" Chimes in Hoody, the red eyes on his mask conveying a surprisingly wide range of emotions. "You know how it be; we wanted to test your skills in combat and damn, did you show us." Your lips quirk up at that, relieved that the men don't appear to hold a grudge against you.

"Of course I'm not. You hurt me, I hurt you. We're good." You offer them a handshake, a gesture they readily accept. You can't help but notice how Masky's grip lingers just a bit longer than Hoody's, prompting you to raise a brow. Glancing at Hoody, you notice a slight displeasure at his companion's touchiness. Is he... jealous? "Em, anyways, where's Toby? I wanted to have a chat with him too. Mainly apologize for his nose- that one's always a bitch to heal."

The duo exchanges confused glances and shrugs, Masky letting out a quiet hum. "Hmm, I don't know, man. Toby and Jack dipped after our fight, haven't seen them since." He shifts a bit closer, leaning nonchalantly against the doorframe. "...but you know, we can look for him if you want. Together." The brunette's height gives him an unfair advantage, and you can't help but squirm under his gaze. You're not a fan of this, not at all.

"You know, I really appreciate it, but-"

"Yenne! Finally, I was searching for you all over the place!" BEN phases through the nearby wall, causing all three of you to flinch. "We were supposed to play CoD, remember? You, me, and Jeff?"

You've never been this happy to see a ghost before in your life.

"How could I forget, duh." You sigh theatrically, exchanging a look with Hoody. The other knows that you're bullshitting but doesn't call you out on it, simply nodding in acknowledgment. "I'm not late, am I?"

"Yeah dude, you are. We started 10 minutes ago, come on~" BEN grabs your arm, dragging you down the hall away from the other proxies. You manage to send them a small wave before disappearing behind the corridor, the two of you standing in front of Jeff's room only a moment later.