CH54: The Chapter with the Drunk Guy

Beacon Academy's halls were empty at the moment. It was the weekend, and every step would echo throughout the school.

Save for one individual.

Patches was in his classroom, doing a whole lot of nothing. His eyes were closed as he reclined on the oak desk. Nothing could ruin this perfect moment of peace and solitude. It reminded him of his time in the lands between. The absolute silence in his murky cave.

Truthfully, Patches wanted to leave that life behind. He was always a coward and a thief. Stealing was second nature to him because winning fights was a foreign concept. It's not exactly easy to mug fellow Tarnished, especially if they were awakened from a past life filled with pain and suffering.

So, when Patches woke up in Remnant after perishing in the corner of a desolate fortress, it was quite the eye opener. Here, he didn't have to lie and steal. In fact, Patches' ability to do those two things, along with his efficiency in survival, was praised. The Headmaster welcomed him without much thought and gave him the job as a professor. Patches happily hung his great shield and spear up to become an educator.

So you can imagine his surprise when Batman held a sword to his throat.

Patches didn't even hear a footstep. There was no sign of entry. The doors remained shut, the windows were closed, and the ventilation was bolted right. It was as if a ghost had come to make Patches repent.

The man was about 6ft. His hair was dark and slicked back. Pale red eye gleamed through the professor's soul. He wielded a thick silver greatsword with mechanized hilt. Fortunately, being held at blade point was in no way unfamiliar to Patches, so he responded with little distress.

Patches: Can I help you?

The professor had deduced that his threat was a huntsman. One might mistake him for the rising criminal Ludwig, who had gained a name for fending off two Beacon students. However, Patches new the real Ludwig and the man whom the name was borrowed. This wasn't him.

???: You can.

Patches let out a sigh of relief. For a second, he thought that Ozpin had discovered his origin and sent an assassin. Yes, that was out of character for the headmaster of a school, but it's Ozpin.

Patches: Wonderful! What can I do for you at Patches' Emporium.

The huntsman raised his eyebrow. Despite his enthusiasm, the professor seemed sufficiently threatened. He sheathed his Greatsword behind his back and dropped a paper on Patches' desk.

???: My name is Qrow Branwen. I was sent by Headmaster Ozpin to get information from you regarding the person on that file.

Patches looked down at his desk. The man on paper was none other than Death, Destroyer of Worlds, Y/n L/n. Immediately, every cell in Patches' body unanimously decided that zero information would be given.

Patches: Y/n L/n? What about him?

The huntsman predated around the room, getting an eye full of Patches' unique decor. The dozens of scrolls, the red banners, and a dancer's castanets. Eventually, he stopped and stared Patches in the eyes. The two maintained this eye contact. Patches was doing his best to look confused and concerned, while Qrow tried to read through everything.

In the end, the huntsman seemed to give up on his objective. With a sigh, he took a seat with a chair across Patches' desk.

Qrow: You're going to play dumb?

Patches gave the huntsman his best innocent face. He had perfected it after trying to murder Y/n for the sixth time. Despite that, the man saw right through it.