1 - Maddison

** A/N **
Unlike my other stories, each chapter will only be in a single POV. I'm trying it out to see how I like it.

As I said in the Brooklyn/Bucky story, this is Steve and Maddison's side story that will take place during Bucky/Emilia's story. But I will be careful to make sure you don't have to read both to understand what is happening. But if I fail to do so and something is confusing, just ask 😘

Maddison hopped off the subway a little later than usual, part of her boss being off for as long as she had been was that the rest of the staff silently agreed to split her workload. She was more than happy to make sure Emilia had the time off she deserved, her husband was MIA (Missing in Action) overseas several years ago and was just found. She wouldn't have wanted to come to work either after not seeing her husband's face for so long. But tonight, tonight Emilia and the rest of the staff agreed to a fancy dinner to meet the husband, and she couldn't wait. She was able to cash in the favor her neighbor owed her, he worked at some fancy boutique in Manhattan and was able to lend her a dress for the evening. He also agreed to watch Charlotte, her 7 month old daughter, for the night. Despite the fact that Scott and his husband Jackson was already Charlotte's main babysitter, and always for free, they refused to take a dime from her.

When Maddison got home, she made a pit stop at the neighbors to spend a few extra minutes with her daughter before she had to get ready, she hadn't seen her since the evening before and was missing her terribly. She went to college full time, night school to finish getting her Bachelors in Nursing while working full time at the hospital. Luckily, tonight she didn't have any classes and she didn't work on the weekends, so she'd spend the evening with her coworkers and all weekend with her daughter.

Maddison's neighbor, Scott answered the door immediately, with an oversized smile on his face. "Hey, babe! You look tired." He mentioned. Maddison rolled her eyes, shoulder checking him as she let herself into his home. She quickly scooped up the gorgeous 7 month old laying on a play mat watching some learning show. "Hi gorgeous." She cooed, kissing her daughter on the cheek repeatedly until she let out a squeal of laughter, pushing her mom's face away with her tiny hands.

"She was an angel all day, as usual." Scott bragged happily. He was a gorgeous man, tall and thin with a hell of a head of hair. His husband was somehow even cuter, he was short and somewhat muscular but bald and the sweetest man you'd ever meet. Scott worked at the fancy boutique in Manhattan, tailoring outfits for people with far too much money. Jackson worked on Wall Street. The two were generous enough to rearrange their work schedules to be able to babysit Charlotte most of the time.

"You say that every day." Maddison teased. She had a steady schedule of babysitters for Charlotte. Her mom watched her a few days while she worked, Scott and Jackson watched her while she was in night school and most weekdays. Maddison usually baked for the couple next door, she also collected their mail and packages whenever she could as well as last year helping Jackson's mom get an emergency appointment with the top Oncologist in the country, Emilia. But the four were like family, and Maddison loved them as such.

Scott just laughed, waving a hand at Maddison dismissively. "I mean it every day, too. She's an absolute doll baby. We crawled around on the floor all day, she had some avocado with her breakfast. She didn't like it, so we switched to banana with oatmeal and mommy's milk instead. But, we'll try again next week. That avocado was a little underripe anyway." He rattled on. Maddison chuckled, rolling her eyes at him jokingly, but her focus was on the gorgeous girl in her arms. Giggling away with her chubby cheeks and grabby hands and her short, soft blonde hair.

"Are you getting ready at your place, or here?" Scott asked. Maddison debated for a minute, all her makeup was at her place. But Charlotte was here. And she did want to spend some extra time with her girl before she had to head out for the evening. "Jackson will go get your makeup. Go take a shower, he'll be home any minute anyway." Scott said before she could answer.