Houses of Power (P6)

Warnings - masturbation, blood sucking, burning alive, syringe stabbed in throat, general dark themes, calling woman bitch

"They're extinct, it can't be!" Luce sounded like a petulant child.

"We never knew that for sure, there just hasn't been one in hundreds of years," Danto said, and his eyes followed me like a predator's.

"Why are fire witches so special?" I asked.

"A stake through the heart and sunlight are the greatest threats to the House of Night. Silver bullets to the House of Fangs. To the House of Force, it's fire. A fire witch is immune to fire, and therefore, nearly unstoppable," Timothée explained.

"This will start a war, to be sure," Danto said, but there was a sickening glee in his eyes. "All the witch and mutt blood we can drink with her on our side."

"Absolutely not," I snarled.

"Oh," Luce chuckled. "We don't intend on giving you a choice. We'd intended this for your little boyfriend, but I think we would be better served using it on you."

Quick as a whip he was to me and stabbed something into my neck. It was a syringe full of glittering black liquid. Before all of it could be administered, I sent fire coursing toward Luce. Luce jumped away. I heated the syringe so that its long needle melted in the middle. The broken tool fell to the floor with the liquid left in it.

"You bitch!" Luce screamed, putting out his flaming shirt. I didn't give them much time to recover. I lifted Timothée's hand with mine. I had to ignore his pained cry when I sent waves of fire toward the two vampires. Then we were running.

Timothée was guiding me, not that I could have separated from him anyway. I left a trail of flames as I went, realizing it didn't just emerge from my hands. The house was catching fast. I could hear shouts, but little pursuit. I had to wonder if these men had servants I was also dooming to a flaming death. I let up on the fire.

Timothée and I were near the door. All of a sudden Luce appeared before us. His eyes were wild, and I nearly took a step back, he had teleported. Timothée threw out his hand and I was shocked to see Luce fly against the wall.

I didn't waste time asking questions, we were out in the cold night air. I couldn't risk them getting out, even if it killed others. I held out the hand that wasn't attached to Timothée. I told him to cover his face as well as he could. He would surely feel the blazing heat. I concentrated and fire poured from my hands. With a loud crack, the house collapsed in on itself as I panted.

"We have to keep going," Timothée urged me.

"I'm going home," I said.

"You can't, I've been feeding them information. They'll find you there. Our only hope is to find a way to the Coven Lands, if we can get in we can tell them about you. They offer safety to all witches."

"What about Birch?" I asked. "We could go back to college and tell him."

"Birch is near as power-hungry as Luce. He will see you as an item, and try to kill me. We need his aunt and uncle."

"So where are we going," I asked.

"The one place people would sell information like how to get into the Coven Lands," he said.

"And that is?"

"The Tartarus Market," he said and he urged me to move from the flaming mansion.

"Is that like the black market for humans?" I asked.

"A bit, but it isn't online. It's a real place for buying goods, information, and other things you can't normally get. The prices are high, and the beings are shady, but it is the only hope we have. We'll also be able to get these chains off."