1

It hurt.

It hurt it hurt it hurt it hurt it hurt so much he would die from the pain alone.

Why?

Why must he endure this?

Why couldn't they all leave him alone?

He didn't even want to be born – let alone to be the Emperor.

So, why?

Why?

WHY?

But then a soft voice whispered to him, making his pain forgotten temporarily.

"Wei Ying… wait for me…"

Wei Wuxian jolted up from his uneventful sleep – drenched in sweat. His head throbbed and his heart beat fast like he was in a sprint and every part of him was hurt.

But.

This was just another day for him.

Another day, another pain, another suffering – where he had to endure, just to survive.

The difference this time was the appearance of the nostalgic sweet voice at the end of his nightmares.

Was it because of the news that they all received yesterday?

The victorious return of the Grand Duke Lan over the border that was infested by the mythical beasts and caused people harm.

That news was literally what everyone was talking about. Even Xue Yang – his royal guard – heard about that from the whispers of the princesses and the maids all around the palace, and he was so excited to meet the National Hero since he was his idol.

Wei Wuxian just couldn't care less if he tried.

Even breathing was very hard for him – let alone gossiping about the Grand Duke Lan.

Wei Wuxian shook his head to clear it from the unnecessary thoughts and he noticed that his attendant – Wen Ning – was already standing beside his bedchamber. He was done preparing everything for bathing, filled with the herbs that would help with his pain, and he was there to help Wei Wuxian to walk to the pool with steaming hot milky water and flower petals.

"Your Royal Highness, the bath is ready."

Wei Wuxian was not able to utter a word since he was clenching his teeth from the pain, so he just nodded while Wen Ning guided him into the pool. And when he reached the edge, he took off his wet robe and entered the hot water slowly until he was submerged inside the calming concoction.

Wen Ning and his sister – Wen Qing – were the only people in this whole palace who knew the truth about his condition, but since they were his most trusted people, they would not dare betray him.

Wen Qing was the doctor who treated him, and gave him all the herbs that could alleviate his pain. Although on the other side, she was also the one who was ordered by the Empress to give Wei Wuxian the poisonous suppressant to hold back his pheromone.

Yes.

Wei Wuxian was the only Crown Prince in the kingdom who only allowed an Alpha to be the Emperor.

And he was a dominant Omega.

His mother – Empress Yun – was also a dominant Omega from one of the strongest Dukedom in the country – whose father was also the current Prime Minister. And a dominant Alpha too.

When Wei Wuxian was born, his brilliant, shiny silver eyes and his strong and intoxicating pheromone filled all the immediate vicinity of the palace where the Empress gave birth, and it even caused a few of the eunuch went crazy with lust, although they were not supposed to have any romantic feelings at all.

Once she took a whiff of the strong pheromone, she was furious because she wanted an Alpha son to be the next Emperor. And when she found out that she could not have any more kid due to the excessive bleeding that caused them to remove her womb, she decided to make her one and only son the Emperor so she killed all the people who knew about the secret of his birth, and called her father to find someone to make a suppressant for the baby so that no one ever found out that he was actually an Omega.

The Empress' father – Prime Minister Yun – refused at first.

He saw how strong his grandson's pheromone was and he told his daughter that it would be dangerous if they were to suppress such a strong Omega's pheromone. It could even kill the baby in the process.

But the Empress was adamant and she said that she would rather the child die than letting the Emperor knew that she had an Omega son.

The Empress' relationship with the Emperor was a contractual one instead of love. The Emperor – at that time, the Crown Prince – would be provided with all the support from the Yun family to become the Emperor, in exchange that he had to marry the Princess of Prime Minister Yun – the flower of the high society, the Queen Bee, the apple of her daddy's eyes, and the only daughter he had.

The Crown Prince did not agree with the marriage at first, since he already had a Beta lover that he loved and cherished, and he planned to marry her.

But his father – the previous Emperor – found out about the relationship and he immediately agreed to the Prime Minister's suggestion to marry the Crown Prince to his daughter and afterward, everything moved in lightning speed.

Of course the Crown Prince was brokenhearted, and he refused to consummate the wedding, until Yun Ruoxi – the Crown Princess – bought an aphrodisiac and slipped it into the Crown Prince's drink, forcing him to consummate and mark her as his mate.

When his Beta lover found out, she took her own life by hanging herself on the tree where she and the Crown Prince first proclaimed their love to each other – with his unborn child in her stomach.

Ever since then, the Crown Prince – now Emperor – hated the Empress and her son with all his heart and refused to meet them outside of formal function where they had to attend and instead, led an ascetic life away from his own wife and son.

But the news of the return of Grand Duke Lan should make the Emperor ecstatic, since he was really fond of him – a dominant Alpha and the only son of his dead best friend.

The Emperor took Grand Duke Lan in when he lost his parents, and gave him the same education as the Crown Prince – up until his coming of age ceremony, where he had to go back to his territory and took care of the mythical beasts infestations.

It was three years ago, and now, the Emperor's most favored man was back.

And Wei Wuxian was pretty sure that his father wanted to make Grand Duke Lan to be the next Emperor instead of his useless and hated son.