Sixty

Niall Horan

Niall Horan

"It's been snowing like crazy, baby girl so we gotta wrap you up to stay warm, okay?" I murmur to Oakley as she sits in front of me, bundled in a pink snowsuit, her curls wild. "I know we have our arguments about socks but cooperate with me please." I request, holding the little white sock in one hand and her tiny ankle in my other.

She stares at me with her hand in her mouth, biting her own skin since some teeth have already come through. Babies are confusing. I manage to get one sock on her small foot but as soon as I attempt the other it's like all hell breaks loose and she screams at me angrily.

Jolting back, I throw my hands in the air in surrender while the sock dangles from her toes. Her green eyes hold fury, she reminds me of Harry when she looks at me like that.

Oakley has the audacity to giggle, tipping her cute head back amused by how she made me jump. I squint my eyes at her behaviour. "Oakie Jane, you're so cheeky."I shake my hand, quickly grabbing her ankle again to slide her sock completely on. "There we go... shoe time!"

I grasp one of her little white boots and wiggle it onto her tiny foot while she silently watches, I'm waiting for another angry scream so she can get some more entertainment out of the situation. Once both her shoes are on I lift her into my arms off my bed, she rests on my hip and quickly reaches up to touch my face being sweet.

"Alright let's go, baby girl." I smile softly, my heart already aching with the thought of going but taking Oakley there for the first time is a big step.

Snow crunches under my shoes as I walk to my car, getting her situated on the backseat before climbing into the front myself and turning on the engine. Quickly, I get hot air flowing around the car, hearing Oakley gurgling at the toys that dangle on the handle of her carseat to keep her entertained.

I drive slowly, being extra careful on the icy roads to make sure we don't slide around while the radio comes through the speakers quietly, I don't want the sound to outshine Oakley's babbles.

The distance is only short, one I plan to walk if the weather gets better but I couldn't take Oaks out in the cold for long in case she becomes a cute ice cube. I pull into the car park and take an extremely deep breath, this is scary to face alone.

"You ready back there, Oakley?" I call to the baby who gurgles a squeal, knowing I'm talking to her. A smile curls on my lips at her excitement, she has no idea what's going on around her but just loves the attention anyone gives her.

She seems ready.

I climb from the car, unbuckling her from the car seat and lifting her onto my hip where she decides to rest her head on my chest while I walk through the gates of the graveyard with a deep breath, snow crunching beneath my feet.

The graveyard is very quiet this time of year.

No one seems to come visit their passed loved ones as soon as the weather turns cold which makes it feel like the perfect time to bring Oakley for the first time, there's no one around and if I cry then there's no reason for me to grow embarrassed.