Twenty

Warning
Violence, death and mentions of sexual assault

Also the italics in this chapter are Harry's flashbacks!

1 July 2020
Harry Styles

My heart is always incredibly erratic on nights like this.

It always seems that whenever I've decided to spend my time hidden in the depths of the Ripley's basement the stars don't come out, instead covered by thick clouds so their innocent light can't penetrate through.

Everything is always extra dark and dreary, maybe it's an illusion. I remember how cold and scary the night was years ago when I was dragged through this very garden in the direction of the Ripley home.

My mind associates this building with the night I almost lost my life so now I get little bursts of memories sometimes when I'm around.

Except for when I'm with Emersyn. She clears my mind with so much ease, keeps me grounded and stops me from slipping into a darker headspace.

Zayn texted me to say that Niall got Max, Cordelia and his parents out of the house so we have about two hours before they'll be getting back. Obviously, they have extensive security around their home, cameras, dogs and sometimes even guards when there's events inside.

However, there is a blind spot. Deep in the bushes towards the back of the garden between two rose bushes is a little gap I created years ago that's grown in size with me through the years. It's a tight squeeze but I'm guaranteed to not be seen.

I try to avoid covering my trousers in mud, they're black so it doesn't really matter but I like to look squeaky clean and put together when I enter that basement. It's intimidating to whoever is tied to the chair to have someone confidently towering over them, especially when they look smart.

My tired eyes feel swollen shut, barely being able to creak open but I can make out the silhouette of a tall man towering over my slouched body. It feels like my entire body has been drained completely of energy, maybe there's some sort of drug in my system because this doesn't feel normal.

Tilting my head backwards, I feel it hit the back of the chair I'm attached to with a soft thud. My eyes make out actual features of the man before me, Max Ripley dressed like he's attending the fanciest of events with a twisted smile as he stares down at me.

Shaking my head, I blend in against the bushes in an attempt to stay hidden in the darkness that's taken over the entirety of this grown up garden. I can see the appeal it has to Emersyn, you could easily get lost out here and not be found.

She'd like to stay hidden, maybe even run away from this life and create something brand new with me to keep safe.

I sneak around the back of the house to the entrance that only goes into the basement, there's a door inside the house but I doubt Emersyn has any idea where it is to accidentally stumble down there.