Twenty Four

3 July 2020Emersyn Ripley

3 July 2020
Emersyn Ripley

Warmth consumes me like the softest blanket, overwhelming my senses and kissing my skin gently. The beating of Harry's heart behind his ribs is the melody that lulls me to sleep at night, my eyes still peacefully shut but my conscious thoughts return.

I breathe out when he moves beneath me, following his warm body to chase the relaxed feeling he brings me. My eyes peel open when he continues to move under me, managing to make out his sharp features through my watery tired eyes.

"Hey... Em, go back to sleep." I feel his soft lips on my forehead, kissing me softly like the summer sun. "I have to leave, the sun is about to rise." I throw my arm around him, trying to draw him closer with a quiet, agitated whine just wanting him to stay.

Dropping my head further up, I nuzzle into the crook of his neck desperate for him to stay. He sighs above me, squeezing his arms around me, not wanting to leave either but knowing deep down he has to leave the protection of the blankets and face reality for another day.

We hide our love throughout the day but allow it to blossom at night, appearing like the stars as the sun sets.

"Please stay." My voice croaks, begging despite knowing he has to deny my pleas.

"Five more minutes, go back to sleep." He whispers, leaning over to rest his soft cheek against the top of my head, feeling his unruly curls against my skin and I smile sleepily to myself.

I feel him pull the blankets further up our bodies, turning my face to bury my face against the softness of the sheets that are practically drowning me but the warmth is soothing. My eyes flutter, fighting sleep while moving my hand to tangle through the roots of his hair hoping I can lull him into not leaving.

Only my eyes peel open once again, it feels like seconds pass since I was last conscious but sunlight is pouring through the thin curtains and the only warmth filling the sheets is from the sun rays. Harry's body is no longer slotted against mine, he managed to sneak out without me waking back up and I have to sigh sadly.

Rolling onto my back, I stretch my limbs out and relish in the morning sunlight kissing my skin. With a yawn, I peel myself up from the mattress so the duvet pools around my hips and I gently rub my tired eyes in the hopes I become more in touch with the day quicker.

Glancing around the room all traces Harry was ever here have been removed, his clothes picked up and what he slept in folded up neatly atop the dresser along with a sheet of white paper resting on the hoodie.

Despite wanting to stay cuddled up in bed all day, my curiosity gets the better of me and I flick the thick blankets off of my legs. The room is warmer than I expected, climbing off of the bed and opening up the balcony doors to let some fresh morning air in while walking towards where Harry's belongings lay.