𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

Start from the beginning

Clairmont Couture wasn't like her grandfather's company. It was entirely hers. Every decision that was made went through her, and Celia was the one who had built it up from the ground entirely. She cared what happened to the place when she was gone. She supposed that her brother was the same way now that he was the new CEO of Alastor Clairmont's legacy. And Celia had seen the way her brother had turned out, and she loved him, but she also didn't want to be him. 

Celia looked up to her brother, but she knew that she didn't want to live the same life as him. Sebastian Clairmont spent his life hidden behind walls that he had built so high to protect himself. He never let anyone in because he was too terrified to ever let someone have that kind of effect on him. He was a closed book, and he isolated himself because he had spent the last thirty-something years convincing himself that he was not worthy of being loved. 

For a while, Celia had thought that she herself were unworthy as well. But let's just say that she had a change of heart. 

"Why would it be a bad idea?" Derek asked her with a frown. "It sounds like the solution to all your problems."

"Change is pretty scary," she replied. "I've lived in New York since I was eighteen, Derek. What if I give all that up and Spencer wakes up one morning and realizes that there's someone better for him out there?"

"Better than you?" He scoffed like it was the most unbelievable thing he'd heard. "You're the only girl he has eyes for, Celia. In case you haven't noticed, that boy is head over heels, madly in love with you. It's only ever been you for him, Cece. To him, there is no such thing as 'something better.' If you told him what you just told me, I'm sure he'd tell you the exact same thing."

"So you're basically just trying to tell me that I'm nervous for no reason?" She raised an eyebrow at him. He shrugged nonchalantly as he pulled up in front of the train station. "You're paraphrasing a bit, but yes, you get the gist."

"Thanks for driving me," she replied quietly. Derek reached over and gave her shoulder a firm squeeze. Ignoring his gesture, Celia leaned over the middle console and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Keep an eye on him for me?"

"You got it," he winked as he released his hold on her. "You have fun this weekend, but don't do anything I wouldn't do."

"No promises," she said with a sly grin. "I have a feeling it's going to be quite the weekend."

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈«

Like clockwork, Nathan and Seb were waiting for Celia the second she arrived. She spotted the black car instantly and let her brother load her bag into the trunk as she made her way into the back seat. She opted for the middle seat, since her cousin had a habit of sitting in the car with his seat reclined basically the entire way back. 

"So, I may have brought us a few party favours for this weekend," Nathan admitted as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small package of gummy bears with a wide grin on his face. 

"Ah, yes, I'm feeling nostalgic already," Sebastian deadpanned from the passenger seat. "What's next? Stealing a cigarette and hiding the butts in a plant?"

"No," Nate scoffed. "I quit smoking, remember?" Ah, yes. For Margot, Celia thought to herself. He had quit smoking for Margot, because she had asked him to. Well, ask was a nice way of putting it, since she had all out refused to go near him if he smelt like a cigarette. 

"You quit drinking, too," her brother reminded him. "So I hope those drinks you brought in the house are the virgin kind."

"Careful, Seb, you almost sounded concerned for a second there." Sebastian glanced at his sister in the mirror and narrowed his eyes, silently berating her for engaging in Nathan's antics. 

"He loves me, he just won't admit it," Nathan teased, reaching over to pinch his cheeks. Sebastian slapped his hand away, and a ghost of a smile made its way up Celia's face. She enjoyed moments like these, with the three of them together. It was like she could pretend that they were a perfect, happy family for a moment. 

Celia sighed in content as she leaned forward and stuck her head in between the two of them, "I missed this, you know? All of us together. It almost feels like everything's normal."

"Yeah, I get what you mean," Nate replied. "It's crazy how much has changed, huh?"

"Change is inevitable, Nathanial," Seb reminded him. Nathan rolled his eyes, and Celia was preparing herself for some kind of lecture on life, but she was surprised by what he said next. "But I suppose that amidst change, it's comforting to know that it's always going to be the three of us. That won't ever change."

Celia folded her lips inward, and the second that Nathan turned his head to look at her, mouthing "Who the fuck is this?" Celia couldn't help but let out a loud laugh. "Oh my god, has hell frozen over?" Nathan questioned through a fit of laughter. "I never thought that I'd see the day where Sebastian Clairmont says something cheesy. "

"You know what, I take it back," Sebastian replied in annoyance. Celia shook her head, "Uh-uh, no take backs, big brother. You said it."

"No take backs?" He echoed, frowning at her. "God, Cece, are we twelve again, declaring no backsies on each other?"

"Yes," Celia replied, and Nathan agreed with a nod of his head. "You said it, no backsies."

As her brother pulled up in front of the house, Celia took a moment to notice what it looked like now that the renovations were completely finished. It somehow looked almost identical to the house before, yet somehow not at all. 

"So, what do you say we get this weekend started?" Nathan asked, glancing between the two of them. "Let's get inside, I desperately need a drink." Upon noticing the glare that he was receiving from Sebastian, he threw his arms up in defence. "Non alcoholic, of course."

His face relaxed slightly, but never went completely slack. That was just the way her brother's face looked ninety percent of the time. He grabbed all of their bags and led them inside the house, and Celia paused in the foyer to get a good look at it. 

And right then, it hit Celia that soon enough, it would all be gone. But in a way, it felt like Celia had already lost this place a year ago. But she knew it was the right thing to do, because it had just felt right. Besides, it was time to move on, and that meant leaving the last memory she had of her grandfather behind. 

This weekend marked the start of a newer, happier chapter for Celia Clairmont.