Awakening (fmaa2)

THE MOMENT WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR WOOOOO
This chapter is split into two because of the utter chaos happening here, you'll get your fluff later I promise-

***

Warnings: Attempted murder, defenestration, strong language

Synopsis: "Dream?" Nightmare called with a higher pitch than his usual voice, sounding close to tears. And he was, if the burning at the side of his eyes were anything to go by.

Said one's hand twitched at the name, his golden eyes appearing into view as his eyelids opened for the first time in ten mouths. His eyes were still half-lidded and his entire being showing how dazed he was but neither really cared about that, more focusing on the fact that he was finally awake.

***

It was a Saturday evening when Blue and Nightmare ran into each other at the hospital where Dream was being treated. Well, perhaps 'ran into each other' might not actually be entirely accurate. They just found themselves in Dream's room at the same time.

Neither of them seemed surprised at the other's presence, despite never having seen each other until now, they knew they were both extremely worried about Dream's prolonged absence and have been visiting him as often as they could.

Both of their attention turned toward the bed as fast as it was diverted. Today again, the heart of their concern was still lying completely motionless on the piece of furniture, eyes closed and breathing calm as his heartbeat was being drawn in real time by the green machine standing proudly next to him.

It has officially been ten months since Dream had been shot, both of them starting to lose hope on the man ever waking up.

Blue's heart seemed to screech in his chest at the thought, hitting the cage of bones it was trapped in with as much force as possible. The latter tried to make the thought disappear by shaking his head, reminding himself that Dream hadn't been planning to die and wouldn't let himself be dragged into the underworld so easily.

Perhaps, it was a silly reason to believe he would open his eyes but who was going to judge him?

He began to lightly scratch at his arms, ignoring how it reopened some wounds in the process as he stared at Dream's face with intensity, looking for any twitch, any change in expression.

There was none, Blue fought back the urge to bang his head against the wall.

As he was busy controlling his frustration and despair, Nightmare had moved closer to the bed and replaced a few strands of Dream's hair that fell onto his face due to the open window from his side. His fingertips grazed at his forehead, his eyes narrowing.

He could hide it all he wanted, he really missed Dream and there was no changing that until he would wake up. "Don't forget that you promised we wouldn't ever leave each other." He let out in a hushed tone, as if speaking to his friend only. He didn't quite know what pushed him to mention such a vague memory of their younger selves pinky promising such a silly thing but it felt... right, comforting he might dare even say.

He didn't know if Dream could hear him but as he always said, innocent until proven guilty. He would keep believing he could as long as nobody was able to present him with arguments that it was false.

He reluctantly brought his hand back to his body, letting the limb fall back on his sides. He glanced at the setting sun from the window, briefly admiring how its light faded into an orange hue before leaving for the impatient night. Already, the moon was showing its nose as a faded figure in the distance.

When he first got into the room, the sun had been looking down on the nation high up in the sky, had he been standing there all this time? If so, it was no wonder he felt so rooted to the ground. His gaze turned toward the clock on the wall.