44: Youre Jealous

"Guys, we're coming up on Freedman's Church.  The church Denmark built for all the slaves he freed." Pope says pointing at the church.

"There it is, Angel Oak." Kie points out the tree.

"Oh, shit! Tide's coming in." John B says as we stop by the water.

"Hey, wait a second. Look.  They already came through here. Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go." Pope says.

"Mmm, what do you think, chief?" JJ asks John B.

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey." John B states.

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement." JJ agrees.

"Okay, clearly, they made it. No?" Kie points out.

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that." JJ states.

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah asks.

"Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?" I point out.

"She's got a point." JJ says.

"Everyone grab onto something." John B says as I grab onto the closest thing. John B floors it as we all cheer him on. Then we make it onto dry roads again.

"Angel Oak is right through here." JJ says as we all get out of the van. "All right, so word to the wise,  definitely know that gators nest back here,  so keep your eyes peeled, okay? You don't wanna step on a mama gator. That's the last thing you want."

"They have nests?" I ask.

"Seems like a good place to park." Sarah sarcastically comments.

"All right. You don't wanna be a Pat Womack.  She had her calf chewed off by a gator, right? You know that, right?"

"That's actually not true." Kie informs JJ. "Pat Womack was injured in a car accident, but I hear you."

"Okay, just live in ignorance.  But like, she had her calf chewed off by a mama gator. I know that for a fact.  They like the brackish water. Wait. Hold on. I see something." JJ says as we stop. He then hits the water with a stick.

"Right. Wake them up. That's smart." I sarcastically comment.

"I was just making sure it wasn't a gator. That's all, all right?"

We all shush eachother as we see Limbrey, Rafe, and her dog's.

"Well, whatever we find, I get my cut. We leave Eve out of this. She told me she wants nothing to do with the business." Rafe says as JJ looks at me.

"Big John taught her well, she's not stupid Rafe.  One touch of it, and I'll be healed, and this long nightmare will be over." Limbrey tells him. I sigh at her words. "I know you don't believe it,  but countless stories over millennia prove that...miracles happen." She states.

You can hear the sound of them hitting something. "Hey! Wait!  Stop! Stop. Please stop. Did you hear it?  Hey, get in there, boys. Do it by hand.  Oh. This has gotta be the cross. It's smaller than I thought. It looks like a--"

"Casket." Rafe states.

"He put it in a casket. Denmark put it in a casket. Get it up." She orders.

"They got the cross? What do we do? What do we do?" JJ asks us.

"What can we do?" I say knowing that we lost.

"Don't touch anything inside! Don't touch anything inside!" Limbrey says

"It's just a corpse. Sorry, Carla." Her dog says.

"We must have missed something." Limbrey says.

"Of course. Of course, yeah. Of course it's just a dead body. Jesus! Carla you do know Eve is probably already found it."