36: Mother

"Mr. Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?" A random dude says as I look up.

"We're in the middle of a test."

"I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation." The man says.

"Mr. Heyward, it's for you." Mr.Sunn says

They go out into the hall as I give JJ and confused look. Pope soon comes rushing in akd shows us the letter.

"Is that the wheat symbol?" Kie asks.

"What the f-- fu... fu... fudge?" JJ says out loud.

"Great going." I whisper to him once everyone is focused back on the test laughing at him.

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ questions as we walk into the library.

"I don't know." I say to him.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ says rather loudly as I apologize to the librarian. "Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane." JJ says not whispering.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this. Read it." Pope says handing JJ the letter.

"Out loud." Kie says.

"I can't read cursive." He says as he hands it to me.

"I can't read cursive either." I say handing the letter to Kie.

She rolls her eyes and starts reading. "Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at King Street, Charleston at 8p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone.Regards, C. Limbrey."

"Charleston?" JJ questions.

"It's like an eight-hour drive plus the ferry. How will we get there tonight?" Pope asks.

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ says.

"I have a free period." Kie says.

"Material evidence"? What does
that even mean, "material evidence"?" JJ asks himself confused.

"It means he can clear John B." Kie says.

"Oh, shit, then we're going to Charleston." I say.

"I gotta tell my mom." Kie says.

"It's okay, I gotta tell Barry." I add.

"Look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe." Kie tells JJ and I.

"Yeah. No duh." JJ says.

"I'm not sure, but I think whoever this Limbrey person is,  they might be related to the captain of the Royal Merchant." Pope says as I look at JJ to see him just as surprised as me.

We're parked outside Kies house as she's talking to her parents.

"This is not gonna go well." I tell the boys.

"How'd you get this rig? I know your old man didn't let you have it." JJ asks Pope.

"I undid the intake valves on the carburetor. Made it start pinging."

"And now you're just gonna take it to your cousin Jeff's house.  Just gonna get it fixed. Crash overnight." JJ adds.

"Crash overnight." Pope repeats.

"I think I'm rubbing off on you, Pope.  Lying to your old man, stealing his truck.  Kinda sounds familiar." JJ says as I slap his arm. "All right, that's a sore subject. My bad."