65 | spring break

2 years later
_________

     I throw my luggage into the trunk of the black SUV that's parked out in front of the coastal bed and breakfast. Behind us stretches miles of beautiful South Carolina coastline. At the front of the little inn, there are still a few white balloons tied to the front posts of the little house, and they blow in the breeze coming off the ocean. I look at them, just in time as Ace comes through the door with his luggage.

    "Well, the newlyweds have checked in for the first time since the wedding." He shines his phone in my direction when he gets close enough. A text from Bryce is there.

It reads:

   We've made it to the sunny Bahamas! Sending our love to Charleston!

   There's also a picture of Caroline attached. She's sipping from a coconut. She looks absolutely radiant.

   "They made it safely!" I exclaim with excitement.

    Good.

  "Mmmhm." Ace nods. "They've sure got a long honeymoon planned!"

   "Lucky!" I smile, wishing I didn't have to return back to university as soon as this trip ends.

    Too bad Ace and I can't run away to a tropical paradise, too.

    "You're not looking forward to going back?" Ace reads my mind. And I shoot him a half-way smile.

    "Not particularly. Though I can't complain. Freshman year of college is pretty easy."

   Ace wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me close to him. "Maybe this time next year, you and I will be engaged."

   I blush at the thought. "I would like that, Ace."

    I'm ready to spend my life with him. I know that, believe that, with everything in me.

   "Let's just hope we aren't engaged as long as Bryce and Caroline were!" Ace adds with a laugh.

   I shrug. "Maybe, but they had the dream destination wedding." I smile, remembering the glitz and glamor of the country club where they tied the knot. "They were already living together, it's not like they were rushing. I think that's okay— since it resulted in a beautiful wedding."

   "You're right." He nods. "And I've definitely enjoyed the break from our little college town."

   "And finally having sex on the beach?" I tease him with a knowing glance.

    He squeezes me tighter. "God I love you." He whispers. Butterflies flutter in my chest, just like we are kids again.

    "I love you, Ace."

    He plants a kiss on my lips, and I savor it for a moment.

   At the door of the inn, Anson suddenly comes out holding Atlas. The toddler giggles and waves at us with bright eyes. Indie leaves the inn behind them. She's carrying luggage, too, and Anson's next baby in her belly.

   For a second, the desire to be engaged to Ace magnifies, and I think about being pregnant like my sister. It's terrifying, I'm not ready of course, yet a whole world of possibilities open at the thought. The thought of building a life with my love.

    "We ready to get back on the road?" Anson calls, clicking the keys.

   Ace and I nod. Ace lets me go and helps Indie load luggage into the back, before he closes the door.

    "I guess real life resumes now."

    "It does." Indie smiles, "but gosh, this week has been amazing."

    We start to clamber into the vehicle, Ace offers his hand to me, and I gladly accept it before climbing into the back. I can't help but kiss him on the cheek.

    "I love you."

   Who would've thought, we would be here today?

   He kisses me back on the cheek. And that's his reply to me.

    I love you too, Bryn.

    Forever.

THE END