44| pasta la vista

"Don't go wasting your emooootionssss!"

Shoes scuffle across the floor.

"Lay all your love on me!"

I throw my head back in laughter as Ace tries to jump over the bookstore counter. He stumbles, landing on his butt in a chuckling heap.

He looks up at me with a bright expression as the ABBA song ends. I roll my eyes playfully, turning down the volume on the Bluetooth speaker.

Past the windows over his shoulder, it is already dark.

"Just think- I would be perfect in Mamma Mia 3." He exclaims.

"Maybe." I shoot him a look. "Just leave the stunts to a double. And the singing, too."

"Shut up, Bryn."

"What? You know-we're supposed to be closing right now." I tell him. "So far all you've done is almost killed yourself and knocked over the Christmas tree, too."

He smirks, standing and messing with the Bluetooth speaker. "Maybe we should listen to some Christmas music?"

"Maybe we should get busy."

He bites his lip, ignoring me, of course. He turns on a slower song.

"Dance with me, then we can close."

"Ace-"

He offers me his hand. I sigh, taking it. I'm not a dancer, never have been. But Ace- he somehow has the balance and grace within him that he doesn't usually get to show.

I feel one of his hands against my body. The music swells. I hear sleigh bells and strings.

His blue eyes look into mine.

"I'm sorry about school." He suddenly says. I'm reminded to look at the scab on his bottom lip.

I haven't thought much about earlier. I clutch Ace closer.

"I'm suddenly ready for New York City."

I'm ready for a break. An adventure. And to run away.

"Me too." He spins me.

"I think you're going to win, Brynnie."

I blush. He does? Really?

"Maybe I will." I sigh, "but I actually think I'm ready to accept it if I lose."

Believe it or not, I think I can live with losing. Especially now that I have Ace.

He pretends to gasp. I hit him, but he clutches my hand as soon as I do.

"You're going to win."

"What about you?" I question.

He shrugs, swaying me. "I don't care. I think I'm lucky to still be in it."

We laugh.

"Really though. I think with how football has gone... I think I've got a chance for a full scholarship."

Football. I totally forget that he's still playing sometimes.

"Championship is this weekend, isn't it?"

He nods.

After that, his highschool football career is over.

"You're going to win." I tell him that, now. I feel it deep within me. He'll take the team to victory. He will get a scholarship. It's all going to work out for him.