47| nothing below the navel

A/N: slightly mature scene ahead. Read at your own discretion. Thanks!
*****

      When I wake up, I'm not at home.

     I'm not in my own bed. I'm not in a bed, at all. The lighting is dim, but I make out Anson and Indie's living room immediately. It still smells like hot cocoa, and the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree illuminate my surroundings enough.

     Ace snoozes in the recliner across the room. Anson and Indie are gone— probably upstairs. Maybe even asleep already. And Bryce and Caroline got a hotel room in town, instead of staying here.

    I yawn, rubbing my eyes. When I look out the window, I notice mom's car is gone. 

     I fell asleep early tonight. I guess they got tired of waiting on me to wake. Mom clearly went home already.

   I glance over at Ace as he sleeps, but he's stirring. After a second, his eyes flutter open. Across the room, his pupils narrow at me.

   I stand up and tiptoe over to his recliner.

   "Hey,"

   "What time is it?" His voice is raspy. I don't know. He reaches for his cellphone and squints at it.

    "Midnight."

    "Wow." I breathe. I settle onto his lap, slinging my arm around his shoulder with ease. He smirks.

    "It's just us."

    I ruffle his hair. "I guess christmas is over."

   "I guess so. It was pretty damn good while it lasted, though."

Yes.

   "When did I fall asleep?"

   "You made it through presents, which is understandable. You were out after the first game of monopoly."

    "I have always hated that game." I inform him. No wonder I fell asleep early.

   "How was your nap?"

   "How was yours?"

   He grins. "I was waiting for you to wake. When you never did, I just got comfortable and followed your lead."

   I giggle to myself. He sighs.

  "I had a good holiday."

  I look at him.

  "And a great first Christmas with you." His head dips, and I'm reminded of something important. Something I never knew I would say, but can't physically go on without telling him.

    My mouth opens, but no sound comes out.

   "Bryn?" He whispers my name.

   I don't even know how to say it. It should be simple, but what if he doesn't feel the same?

    I close my mouth.

   But even if he doesn't return the feeling, I realize, it doesn't change what I feel.

    "What's wrong?" He reads my face, blue eyes scanning my expression.

    I shift in his lap.

   "Ace, I have to tell you something."

    "yes?" He barely whispers. I don't know if I'm worrying him, scaring him, or what.

   I get on with it.

  "I love you."

  I shake my head, unable to say anything but that.