58| i hear that rips are fashionable

"Bryn!" Ace's voice shatters the windows of my soul as he screams for me in the darkness.

I stumble out of bed, going towards the sound. I enter an unfamiliar room, pushing through the door with a hand. I see him there.

There's a girl on his lap. He's struggling beneath her.

Oh my gosh!

I cry out, running forward to pull her off of him. Cold terror strikes right before she hits me in the face. I hear the sound Ace makes when I hit the ground. In a flash, my head slams against concrete. When I blink the pain from my eyes, I'm no longer in the room with them.

"Ace?" I call. It's bright.

I've got to find him! Where are they?!

I step across tile floors. This is unfamiliar. A narrow hallway. Doors line the hall. I approach the first open one. When I get to it, I see desks, not a single one empty. Blank, faceless students stare at a blank, faceless professor.

Ace sits in the middle, his eyes are glassy. His blue irises are trained ahead.

What is this? I tiptoe into the class, unnoticed. When I face the professor, I see he holds a sign that I can't read.

Odd.

I look back at the class, and the scene washes away in front of me. I yelp. What's happening?!

Darkness again. Ace is back in his chair.

What is this? Where are we? What's happening?

I walk towards him. His glassy eyes shift suddenly, like he can see me again. They train on me, narrowing.

His arm reaches out from where he sits. He doesn't speak at all. Dazed, confused, I try to take it, but he dodges my palms.

He pulls me towards him by my hips. Not looking at my face, he pushes me against his lap.

"Ace!" Something is off with this.

His eyes are on me, but distant. Disconnected. I move my hips, feeling him beneath my legs. He smiles at that, lips pulled tight at the corners.

He responds to touch?

I whimper, his fingertips press against my skin. We move slowly, stupidly, focused for the moment on the feeling of our clothes against one another.

I can't tell how much time is passing, but after grinding in the chair for some time, Ace releases me.

I fall off of his lap, hitting the ground again, but the room I'm in doesn't fade away. I stare up at his chair in confusion. He stands, someone else enters. His eyes go to them. I raise a brow, turning to follow his gaze, and screaming when I see the blonde.

Ace numbly takes a step towards her.

"Ace!" I warn him, but he doesn't hear. I can't bear to watch as he goes to her. My throat is raw from trying to keep him for going. He doesn't listen to my screams.

I'm devastated, but when he reaches for her arm, she dissolves. Before my eyes, a school building appears. It's the college. His hand, instead of closing around her arm, closes around the door handle.

"Wait for me!" I tell him. He doesn't hear. He goes inside; the door slam covers my scream.

I sink to my knees, crying. And then I wake up.

*****

It was a dream. Relief crashes over my shoulders, and then I realize I'm sticky with sweat, alone in my New York City hotel room.