41| i'm in hell!

I'm sitting up, straight and alert, when Indie speaks to Anson and me. She just came upstairs from a half-hour of conversation with Ace.

    And now, she tells us he's not the one that leaked my photos to the whole school?

    My chest squeezes to the point that I'm in pain. But if there is a miracle to be found, I want her to be right.

    Anson shoots her a look, cautioning her not to be too sure.

    My sister absentmindedly touches her stomach. "He told me everything."

    "So did Bryn." Anson points out, but Indie shakes her head.

    "Ace also showed me what Bryn had sent to him, compared to what has been circulating at school. I don't know how, but they are two totally different photos, from two totally different times."

    Anson sighs in relief. "So the circulated photos aren't Bryn?"

    Indie's mouth twitches. "Actually, I think they are."

     A lump forms in my throat. Anson watches as Indie and I approach each other.

    She holds out Ace's phone to me.

     I see the familiar photo from last night. But, on another group text, I see myself. And I recognize the place.

    "That's from the locker room."

     Indie bites her lip. I repeat myself.

   "Someone took this while I was changing in the locker room!"

     I put my hand on my head. Who did this?! Why? When?

    Suddenly, I realize something.

    "That one day," I say under my breath, "I wasn't alone. It had to be then."

    "So, what? You have a stalker?" Anson asks.

    My heart drops even lower. I nod slowly. I do. It's the blonde. It has to be.

     "Why are you a target?" Indie questions.

    "Is she jealous?" Anson asks.

    "Is she someone you know?"

    "Stop!" I beg them. Indie immediately looks sorry for talking about this in such a way.

    Her gaze softens. "I'll talk to the school. I'll talk to the police department. We will ensure that you're safe, and that nothing else happens."

    She reaches out and Anson takes her hand. He squeezes, nodding to me.

     "Thank you." My voice is hoarse.

    What would I do without them?

    "You can stay here in our room tonight." Indie says. "I'm making soup for dinner."

     "What about Ace?" Anson asks.

     "I told him he's okay, since he had nothing to do with any of this. Obviously, Bryn's still shaken up," she looks at me, "so I told him to give you some time."

    Thank you. I nod to her slowly.

    I don't know what I'll say to him. I don't know if I'm in the mood, even. Every hope I had for us was dashed by the scare.

   But- I'm glad to know he is still who I thought he was.

     In front of me, Indie deletes the photos from his cellphone with a sigh. She turns it off, after that. "I guess I'll take this back."