6| get your abs away from me

"Mom I can't believe this!"

    "We're late to my own sister's baby shower!"

     I huff loudly and slam my hand on the hood of the car. Mom looks sheepishly at the AAA man, as he opens the car door.

    Mom reaches in, and pulls out her keys. She gives them a jingle at me. "No reason to flip. The shower has only been started for five minutes."

    Its Indie's big day. And mom had to go lock the keys inside of the car. I slump into the passenger's seat, clutching our gift, as mom thanks the man for coming to help us out.

    It's another minute before we're finally pulling out of the drive.

    "Punch it!" I yell , but she proceeds at the speed limit.

     I'm never late to anything. Until today.

    When we make it to Anson and Indie's, I'm fluttering with excitement. I see pastel balloons on the mailbox. I see cars in the drive.

    For such a young couple, their home is nice and large. I'm so proud of them for doing well. It makes me all the more excited to be an aunt.

   I'll babysit the little boy or girl as much as I can! They'll love me.

   Mom finally parks the car behind a camaro, and I don't even wait for her to run up to the door. You think she'd be running too, since she's about to be a grandmother, but no.

    I'm walking across the threshold with my gift minutes before her.

    Anson sees me first. He rushes to my side. "Bryn, you made it! Where's your mom?"

    I glance up at my brother-in-law. "She's too slow. I left her outside. Hopefully she's not locked the keys in the car again."

    "Again?" He frowns, but I pull away.

   I make it to Indie. She sits in a nice new rocking chair. She looks absolutely stunning. I see she's curled her dark hair.

   "Bryn!" She reaches out to me. I ignore all of the guests to go hug her. "About time you show."

    "Mom." I explain, and she snickers.

   "I guess I'll be the same way pretty soon."

   "Not you."

    Indie smiles, "whatever. Welcome to the shower. Make yourself at home. We'll get things started in a few."

    "Okay. Sounds great." I make my way over to the gift table. I drop my present and cards onto it.

    I turn and see Bryce Brown, Anson's best friend, and Caroline, his girlfriend. Caroline has been close to Indie for the past few years. In highschool, those four were inseparable.

    It's good they're here from college. I smile at Bryce. He nods to me.

    Without starting a conversation, I make my way through a few more guests and to the kitchen. I know my way around, and I've got to see the cake.

     Please have whipped icing instead of buttercream, I cross my fingers.

    Instead of whipped icing, I find something much less appealing. Much less appealing than buttercream, even.

    Somehow, some way... Ace Abbot stands in my sister's kitchen, with a container of trail mix in his hand.

    Am I dreaming?