18| t is for trauma

"You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you!"

"Darcy," I roll my eyes and whisper, "just end the speech there and you'll be fine."

I hold Pride & Prejudice in my hands once again. I first read the book several years ago, but sometimes when I'm in need of comfort, I have a few stories I return to.

Today is one of those times, unfortunately. I'm in the school library, standing against a bookshelf and reading one of my favorite scenes from the story. I cherry-picked it today, because I've not been able to focus on anything else.

But today, the words of one of my favorite novels don't bring me much comfort. I sigh unhappily and close the story.

"Some other time," I whisper, sliding it back onto the shelf carefully.

I take a step out of the library aisle. Through the cracks of the shelves next to me, I notice a particularly familiar hue of blond.

Ace?

I'm shocked, if it is him. Why is he in the library, of all places?

Quietly, I tiptoe over to see if it's true.

He's reading a book, All The Light We Cannot See. He must've started it days ago, because he's almost finished.

His blue eyes look at me from above the pages. I offer a sideways smile.

"Sit down, if you'd like." He whispers. He pats the carpet beside of him.

Okay.

I settle in next to him. He folds the corner of the page down and shuts the story. It's weird, but I like meeting him like this.

"I didn't know you could read." I tease him, pointing to the hardcover novel.

"I enjoy reading from time to time. Actually, Mr. Hawkins recommended I read this for my book report."

"What's it about?"

He thinks. "How two people's paths can cross for just a moment, and everything is different after."

I take a deep breath. It's weird. I don't really know what possessed me to join him, but it doesn't feel like it usually does.

He looks at my face. "You look tired." He observes.

"I couldn't sleep." I tell him.

"I run on 3 hours." He huffs.

"Must be nice," I muse.

The truth is, I had a nightmare. I've been having nightmares, since the other night.

"So," he starts, unaware. "what's been keeping you from sleeping?"

Should I tell him? I look down at my hands in my lap. It is not right for me to burden him. He has enough to deal with from that night.

"You."

I bite my lip.

"Me?"

Nodding, I look at him. "Yeah, I keep having nightmares about what happened." I shiver.

Don't picture it. Don't picture it.

As long as I don't picture it, I can talk about it.

"You know, I have too." He reveals.

Really? My heart hurts. I know he's bottled up his emotions. I know how painful that can be.