38: Trust

"Two-stepping with the woman I love
All my troubles turn to nothing when I'm in your eyes
Electrified, we'll keep turning up and go all night"

~-~-~

In the evening, Jeffrey showed up at my office regarding work. It had been a while since I had seen him, especially because he was drowning in work like myself. A few hours into analyzing documents together, there was a familiar knock on the door.

"Come in, Mathew."

Jeffrey looked up in amusement.

"Er... Mr.Campbell... Your wife said that you left your phone in the office, so she called me. She wants you to pick the kids up from their grandparents."

"Noted," Jeffrey smiled.

"I really am growing forgetful from all this work," he sighed and got up from the couch to stretch himself, "Where's Chelsea, by the way? I thought she was here instead of Mathew."

"He came back two days ago and I fired Chelsea. Besides, she was planning on resigning herself. It's better for the both of us," I replied.

He gasped, "Are you insane? Why would you do that?"

"She doesn't work as well as Mathew. He is far more qualified than her as he has experience in the field. Chelsea isn't even passionate about a corporate job."

Jeffrey ran a hand through his hair, "I understand from her part that it is frustrating working under you but... On your part? I mean... Your wife is at the click of your fingers here. What more could you possibly want?" He scoffed.

"She's always at the click of my fingers. Besides, it's too distracting."

Jeffrey pondered over my words for a while. "Especially with pencil skirts..." He sighed.

"Especially that," I shook my head.

***

When I returned home at night, I found Chelsea on the couch with our rainbow cupcake in her arms. There were crayons on the table and I noticed how Lucy was squeezing the crayon in her tiny fist. She even attempted biting the crayon or randomly stroking lines on the book that Chelsea held for her. My wife was laughing.

"I thought it would be fun to make her draw. She can't seem to stop now," Chelsea chuckled.

"Really?" I took Lucy into my arms. Almost automatically, my little girl kissed my cheek.

"Aww!" Chelsea gushed over her. Even I couldn't help but smile.

I sat back on the couch with Lucy on my lap, "What all did you draw, hm?" I kissed her head while flipping through the pages of the book as Chelsea went to get my dinner warm.

The pages had all kinds of lines and shapes on them with different crayons. Even though I couldn't make heads or tails of anything, my little girl was particularly excited while pointing at them. Lucy made all kinds of sounds and even took the initiative to flip a few pages for me.

When Chelsea returned to snuggle against my arm, our baby pointed at a dark blue mess of lines and said aloud, "Da!" It made her mother laugh again.

On flipping past most pages of the book, I came across a particularly good picture of a woman's face. Even though it was done with different shades of green and blue, it was far above the standard of a baby.

Chelsea flipped past that page. "It's just something I drew while spacing out," she mumbled.

"Wait, show it to me," I replied.