13: Ego

"Baby, just tell me why
This bed feels cold without
You inside
Oh my and your emerald eyes"

~-~-~

"I should go to the bank?"

"Yes. Even though I doubt that it's going to help, you could try and find out more about why or how your account has been frozen," Jeffrey replied.

"Isn't there something more effective?" I sighed.

"I'm sorry, Mr.Xander... The only other way I see is to investigate Mr.Fischer but you're going to need an insider for that."

"You could help me Jeffrey, and once I get back Xander Corp, I'll pay you double."

"It's not about the money," he sighed, "I still don't trust you and I certainly don't trust Reed because he's very secretive about things. I don't know what he's planning and Mr.Choi seems helpless in this matter."

Right then, something clicked in me.

"Can I have anyone as an insider?"

"Um... Yes, just someone close enough to Reed and the company documents."

"Okay."

"Do you have someone in mind?" He stared at me wide-eyed.

"Yes, but I'll need to talk to him first."

"I'm surprised," he replied.

"Huh?"

"You used to treat everyone like your slaves and I'm pretty sure that all the employees despise you, Mr.Xander. It's funny to think that you have a spy."

"It was a nice chat," I muttered before getting up.

"I could say the same," he smiled and shook my hand. "For our future meetings, you can text me directly."

"I'm glad. I don't have to deal with your PA anymore."

"What's wrong with my PA?" He chuckled.

"She talks too much, and is very protective of someone talking to you and honestly, I don't think you haven't changed her in years. I think it's time to rethink that-"

"She's my wife," he laughed, "Of course, she has to be protective over someone as handsome as myself," Jeffrey smirked.

"Right..."

Jeffrey left a large sum of money at our table and walked over to the elevator with me. "I love it when she gets protective," he sighed deeply. That piece of information was totally unnecessary.

"So, how's Mrs.Xander?" Jeffrey asked.

"Fine... I guess."

"You don't know if she's fine or not?" He raised an eyebrow.

"She's fine, Mr.Campbell."

"Good to know," he smiled.

We walked out of the restaurant and it was raining by now, "Do you want a lift home or something?" Jeffrey asked as his valet opened an umbrella for him.

I missed these privileges too much.

"No, I have uh... Work."

"Work?"

"Yeah," I glanced at Jim who honked from the pickup truck. He beckoned me to hurry up.

"Is that your... friend?" Jeffrey glanced at the truck.