5: Sunrise

"Texts from you and sex from you
Are things that are not so uncommon
Flirt with you you're all about it
Tell me why I feel unwanted?"

~-~-~

Three weeks had passed and Jim managed to squeeze some information out of me about my life. I didn't tell them about my company but Stuart would often raise questions. I ignored him.

Jim knew that I was married and was expecting a baby soon. I refrained from telling them anything more but the old man swore to find out. He was 58 but had a body and mind built of steel.

I often returned to the apartment past 10 pm and Chelsea had figured that I found a job. She didn't judge or question it to my relief but she told me that the doctor next door would visit her once in a while to talk about her health and the baby. I thought that it was outrageous. She wouldn't help us out without a motive.

When Jim let me go early on a Sunday, I bought fairly healthy food from a restaurant and took it home.

"You're early!" Chelsea grinned at me and for some reason, wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me in a kiss. It had been a fairly long time since we had sex but I'd have to wait till the baby was out.

"Here," I handed her the parcel and took off my clothes to take a shower. These were the times when I honestly missed my jacuzzi. By the time I was dressed, Chelsea was already eating on the bed. I sat beside her, "When are you exactly due?"

"Oh... Uh... Ah!" She clutched her stomach with wide eyes.

"Chelsea?"

"I need to go..." She got up from the bed and I saw that the sheets were wet. She struggled to walk and hence, crawled back into bed. My wife groaned in pain. "Call Dr.Carter... Please... Argh!"

I set aside the food and went outside to knock on the doctor's door, "Mr.Xander?"

Great, she knew my name.

"Chelsea asked to call you... Er... I think her water broke..."

"Good gracious!" She ran to our apartment.

"We need to take her to the hospital." I closed the door behind me and glanced out of the window. Of course, it was raining heavily. God had impeccable timing.

"No!" Chelsea groaned, "We can't pay them... And I want it to be here."

"If I had my car, I would have taken you right away! We could call an ambulance or a cab though..." Dr.Carter squeezed her hand.

"Please doc... I don't want to go through all that trouble... Besides, it's raining cats and dogs... Please..."

The doc sighed, "Are you fine with giving birth here, Chelsea?"

"Yes, please just...! Ah!"

"Mr.Xander, could you heat the water and get me clean towels? Make sure the water isn't boiling, just warm enough." She hurried out of our room. I hated being ordered about, but after the delivery, there would be one less thing to worry about.

As I kept the kettle on the tiny stove in the corner, the doctor entered again with what seemed to be her instruments. She got rid of most sheets on the mattress and kept telling Chelsea to take deep breaths.

In a few minutes, the water was warm and I took it off the stove. "You're doing good, Chelsea," the doc kept repeating. My wife was squirming in pain and I could nowhere see what progress she was making.

"Hold her hand, Mr.Xander." The doc glared at me. I glared back and squeezed Chelsea's hand. She dug her nails into my palms and her knuckles turned white. Sweat rolled down her neck and tears damped her cheeks that were red and puffy. She kept grinding her teeth and groaned as loud as humanely possible. This had been going on for almost two hours.