26: Miracles

"How long will I love you
as long as stars are above you
and longer if I can"

~-~-~

The nurse led me into the closed doors. Their suspense was killing me. Even Lucy seemed more agitated than usual. Finally, I saw Dr.Hudson next to another nurse. He smiled upon seeing me.

"What? Why are you smiling? Why did you call me here so early?"

He chuckled, "Your wife is alright, Mr.Xander. She's out of danger now. It's going to be only recovery from here."

It felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off my chest.

My beautiful, horny, and annoying wife was going to be fine.

A few of the scars on her face had healed but there was still a large cotton plaster around her head. The rich brown hair had been cut short for surgery near her neck. She was going to go insane over it.

Most importantly, my little girl would have her mommy for a very, very long time.

"But..." The doc sighed.

Was he fucking kidding me?

"But what?"

"The rest of her medicines are going to be expensive. You'll have to pay the rest of the bill by tomorrow at least."

"Tomorrow?"

But how?

"Yes... I'm sorry Mr.Xander, we are in a difficult position ourselves. Without you paying the bills we can't help her," he sighed, "I'll give you a moment with the patient."

When they went outside, I sat by Chelsea's bed. The docs had never allowed me to get this close to her. "Mm... Mm..." Lucy kept repeating while pointing at Chelsea. She nearly slipped out of my hands. "Yes, mommy's going to wake up soon," I whispered while cuddling my baby.

Watching my wife's gentle breathing and calm pulse made me very guilty. She fought her battle and made it out. Her willpower was commendable.

But I hadn't done my part yet.

For some reason, it made me feel weak.

I was definitely not weak. Neither was I losing to Chelsea's willpower.

I'd do better. Much better.

My fingers automatically crawled toward her hand. She was just as soft as I remembered. The ring that I gave her was still on. I touched it while entangling my fingers with hers.

If it was a year back, the ring wouldn't mean anything.

But now... It felt different.

Not that I'd ever accept it in front of her but, it did feel better.

Much better.

I was able to feel her warmth and touch her again.

I wanted to touch her more. So much more, in all the ways she loved.

***

Being away from Lucy was a terrible feeling. No matter what, I kept thinking about her all the while until I reached the church. Jim agreed to take care of her for the time being, it was my only source of relief. He didn't have work today and he gladly accepted, even though I hadn't told him where I'd be.

The church on the hill had this strange aura. It was similar to the horror movies that Chelsea watched. To be honest, she barely watched them as her eyes were shut during the entire movie.