10: Anniversary

"Losing my mind like this
I don't know what it is
But I could never call it quits
I just wanna stay like this"

~-~-~

"Leo wake up!"

Chelsea shook me awake, and I was about to yell at her until I heard Lucy's muffled sobs. Our little girl was wheezing and coughing in her cradle. When I took her in my arms, Lucy felt too warm. Her face was bright red with rashes. She was having a hard time breathing.

"She's burning up! We have to take her to the hospital right now!" Chelsea insisted.

I slipped into my clothes in a hurry and so did my wife. It was around 4 am and there were no cabs in sight. I was losing my mind as Lucy's body kept getting warmer in my hands.

If something happened to her, I'd never forgive myself.

When a cab slowly rolled down the street, it felt like a miracle.

I startled the cab driver by yelling in his ear, but he understood the emergency and drove us to Rashmond Hospital as fast as he could. Chelsea took the baby as I stayed behind in search of the wallet that I had left at home.

I'd have to pay him extra for taking me back...

"Er... I left my wallet at home-"

"You should make sure that your baby is alright, sir." The cab driver smiled, "The cash is on me."

He drove off.

He wasn't even mad.

That man was about as old as myself, with warm brown twinkling eyes.

He was far from rich to reject the money.

Was he stupid?

Why the hell would he do that?

It made no sense.

But now I had to worry about Lucy.

I hurried inside and inquired for the pediatrics ward. When I hurried upstairs, I found them with one of the doctors who gave Lucy an injection. "It's an allergic reaction, probably towards dust. Do you live somewhere like a cramped apartment?" He asked us.

Chelsea and I glanced at each other.

Neither of us had bothered to properly clean the room after moving in.

The doc sighed, "If this keeps up, she could have asthma in the future. A baby needs to be brought up in an extremely hygienic environment. You can't take any risks with her."

He told us about all the things that we ought to do and we left around 5.30 am. Lucy slept in my arms as we walked down the street. Neither I nor Chelsea spoke for a long time. We had walked for about half an hour till she thought to break the silence.

"I'll sell everything..." She mumbled

"Or we could keep the things we need and sell the rest."

She stared at me with wide eyes, "You'll help me sort and clean everything?"

"No, Chelsea." I glared at her, "You'll clean it all up while I stay on the balcony with Lucy."

"But there's so much..." She whispered to herself and had an even more defeated expression.

"Fine, I'll help you clean but I'll decide what we're keeping."

Chelsea kissed the side of my face and smiled.