31: Hugs

"If she gives you her heart
Don't you break it
Let your arms be a place
She feels safe in"

~-~-~

It had been a little over two months since Chelsea was admitted and to my relief, Dr.Hudson said that she would be discharged by the end of November.

For the entire week, Chelsea was practicing to move her lower body. The shock of the accident made it harder, as she always felt like she'd fall any second. She couldn't stand without holding onto something.

"If you don't try harder, this is going to take very long," I told her.

She was clutching the edge of the bed without moving an inch. "Easy for you to say," Chelsea muttered, but I wasn't wrong. Even the physiotherapist thought that she wasn't trying hard enough because my wife was scared.

"Chelsea," I touched her arms, "Turn around."

"I can't."

"Hold me and try."

She gave me an unsure gaze but squeezed my arm and slowly turned, till she eventually plopped on the bed.

"No resting, get up."

She groaned but obeyed.

"Hold my hand and try stepping on me, just literally."

Chelsea chuckled and she wrapped her arms around me. She placed her feet over mine as well.

"Now, try to get up from the bed."

"No..." She shook her head, terrified.

I leaned towards her without breaking eye contact. She stayed petrified in my gaze while I wrapped my hands around her lower back.

"Ah!"

When I lifted her off the bed, she hugged my waist as tightly as she could. Her eyes were closed, as she kept panting.

"Chelsea, open your eyes," I whispered.

"No... It's... It's spinning all around me. Please, please don't let go," she begged.

I couldn't blame her for having flashbacks from the accident. Every time she tried to stand up, she was probably seeing the world spin just like when she was in the car.

"It feels terrible, I know." My hand caressed the back of her head, "But trust me on this. It's going to get better. Fight the feeling."

Chelsea kept her eyes closed but pulled back a little, "I... I can't open my eyes..."

"I'll get you to open them soon," I replied. "Now, put your hands around my neck like when we were dancing."

She did as told. "Good. Now, you'll follow my steps and if you mess up, I'll punish you."

Chelsea gulped, "You're kidding, right?"

"Let's start."

I kept stepping back slowly while she was careful to follow my movements by stepping forward. Slowly but steadily, she was getting the hang of it.

"Now, turn around but don't step on the floor. You need to keep your balance."

"What? Why!"

"Don't question me, Chelsea." I squeezed her butt as a warning, even though I had doubts that she was enjoying it.

She turned around carefully while squeezing my hands. I felt like a puppeteer controlling a puppet. But she disappointed me by accidentally stepping on the floor.