8: Bitter

"My heart is broken
My scars are open
I wanna stay but
What would you say if you were me?"

~-~-~

As I got out of the shower and dressed, there was a knock on the door. Chelsea was about to open it but I grabbed her arm, "Don't open the door till you know who it is."

"It's Cindy, Chelsea, are you in there?" We heard the doctor outside.

I opened the door hesitantly, "Oh my god, I heard about the burglary when I got home today. Are you guys alright?" Her voice was laced with concern.

"We are-"

"What happened to your face?" She was quick to notice the cut.

Neither of us replied and the doc immediately glared at me.

"The thief did it..." Chelsea mumbled.

"Did you apply anything?"

"Not really, it's fine though-"

"It could get infected, Chelsea. Come to my room," The doc told her.

I laid down in bed, watching Lucy sleep as I ran my fingers over the golden strands of her hair. She opened her eyes and tried to grab my finger. Chelsea returned soon and had a bandaid on her face. I figured that she only lied to the doctor because she was too ashamed to tell her the truth. She'd never change.

"Dr.Carter said that we should take Lucy for walks. Can we go, Leo?" She sat by the edge of the bed.

"You stay home. I'll take her," I replied, "Get her dressed."

If my wife thought that I had forgiven her for Trent, she was very wrong.

Chelsea didn't argue this time and she did as told. As I was about to head out with Lucy, my little girl began crying and tried to reach for her mother. She didn't stop until Chelsea held her.

Lucy knew exactly what she was doing by refusing to leave her mother's arms. "Fine, we'll go together," I muttered and her face lit up beautifully.

Besides, if I left her alone, some guy might try robbing me again.

***

As we went down the sidewalk, Lucy began making a variety of new sounds. It felt like she was trying to talk to us about the foreign things she saw. Chelsea tickled her nose while chuckling.

"We should get her a pacifier," she told me and I nodded.

A few blocks away, we reached the same baby store where I had bought Lucy's clothes. Chelsea walked to the section with pacifiers while something else caught my attention.

A cradle.

It was extremely necessary as letting Lucy sleep between us was dangerous, even sex was hard. But the cost was way higher than what I had expected. I couldn't afford it yet.

Only if my bank account wasn't frozen...

I'd buy the entire shop for Lucy.

After we bought the pacifier, Chelsea insisted on walking longer. Lucy was back in my arms again and she was starting to feel sleepy.

"Let's go there!" My wife exclaimed in delight on spotting a bookstore.

Sometimes, she could get excited over the silliest of things.

I walked around with Lucy and she became wide awake on seeing the bright-colored picture books. "You like them?" Chelsea chuckled while showing her one of the books.