Chapter 35 Viewpoint

"A house full of people is filled with different points of view," chimes Professor
Jumpol's voice in the large lecture hall.

The respectful silence lingers as the international students look up at the luminary.

"This Maori wisdom fills this lecture hall with the perspectives and colors of so many cultures. All of your perspectives blend together to make a whole. And I am proud to be a part of it!" a touched murmur spreads,
"Dear exchange students, dear fellow citizens,
this exchange year gave you a new viewpoint. Studying in New Zealand for a year and learning the perspectives of other cultures. And now a joint project can be presented to the world.
The program is coming to an end and the House of Diversity bears the testimonies of human cultures. With your spirits and your hands, you demonstrated how enriching diversity is," Off pauses briefly, looking at the colorful young audience.

"Why is man condemned to not understand this wisdom? Why do cultures fence with each other? Why is it that often only one's own point of view counts?" the professor moves away from the lectern and stands freely in front of his pupils.

"Why should there be only one religion? The one philosophy? Why only the one form of love? The one art of building? The one knowledge?" he crosses his arms in front of his chest and shakes his head.

"Mankind should make use of diversity! Allow itself to be enriched by the views of others! Appreciate them and welcome them warmly! Respect and love maintain our continuity. The wisdom of all cultures develops the future. And you all bear witness to this!" Professor Jumpol's applause echoes.

And every proud hand follows the sound of his tribute.

"Tomorrow we will celebrate this year's House of Diversity. The press will announce to the world what colorful people grew on it," floods again the just leveled applause.

And Off's proud smile makes all hearts flutter happily.

"I would like to present each tandem with the key to their room. Use the last day to design the interior of your part of the building! Prepare for tomorrow's presentation!" he instructs this year's master's students for the last time.

Every year, exchange students study architecture and civil engineering for two semesters in New Zealand at the Auckland University of Technology.

And always in the 11th month of their stay, the product of their combined views is shown to the world.

A house of the world's different cultures.

A tandem of two disciplines draws from the roots of their own culture to create a piece of a greater and whole.

Craft, art and technical skill create a house of diversity.

Also this year the house carries all the stories of humanity.

And a small temple of reflection and love.

Viewpoints that evolved for Gem and Fourth.

"I'm so sad that the year is almost over!", Gem glimpses Fourth's wistful twinkling eyes.

"Me too!" his index finger seeks Fourth's.

There is a loud bustle around them.

And only they seem to be standing, but not moving from their seats in the lecture hall.

Everyone just goes their separate ways.

Only two best friends hold their index fingers and give each other their loving gaze.

"But we'll return together. That outshines every shadow!", Gem smirks so sexily, "The main thing is that I have my baby by my side!", his whisper sounds so deep that Fourth immediately grins.