Ballora's Tune

Tonight is my second shift. I brought six cups of coffee, one cup for each hour I spent in this place. Now that I think about it, this place looks a lot like a lab more than a place that builds animatronics. 

I decided to tour this place as well, so I brought a flashlight down here with me. Everything looks normal to me, robots are powered off and machines are everywhere. The only places that I haven't checked yet are the ones restricted to me. 

It looks like there's nothing wrong, so the robots in the rumors must be from the other pizzerias. I'm starting to feel something suspicious about this place, though.

Vincent closed his diary, feeling that someone is watching him. He took another sip of his coffee out of nervousness. After a while, he was starting to feel that something was wrong. 

He took a look around, but there was nothing that could describe his feeling of uneasiness. 'This is starting to get annoying.' He glared at the abyss beyond his post. Surprisingly, the abyss became much darker than he remember.

"Since when were the lights off? HandUnit? Hello?" He stood up, looking around. "HandUnit, answer me!" He felt like there was someone behind him, but he didn't dare look and closed his eyes. 'What the hell is happening?' 

He stood there for a while like an idiot, wishing for whatever's happening to stop. After a little while, he heard noises of everything powering on again. "Commencing system restart. Uh oh, it looks like the system cannot start automatically. You, nightguard, will have to restart the system manually."

"W-What? This is not in my contract."

"You need to restart the system-"

"Alright, alright, fine! Jeez, William needs to take care of his employees' mental health sometimes."

"This is why I exist. Please pay attention to my instructions." 'This robot sounds like someone I know.' He took a deep breath before responding.

"Alright, where do I need to go?"

"You are required to crawl through the Ballora Gallery using the vent on your left in order to reach the Breaker Room. It is recommended to stay low on the ground and reach the other side as fast as possible as to not disturb Ballora."

"Not the Breaker Room! That's too creepy!"

"You will need to crawl-"

"Shut up HandUnit, I'll do it!" He ducked down in order to reach the vent.

"I will deactivate myself momentarily to not create an auditory disturbance. Commencing." 'Auditory disturbance? Is it not allowed to make any noise? But how am I gonna do that if I'm required to go there as fast as possible?'

He reached the end of the vent, seeing a tall silhouette moving around. He looked at the reflection of the floor created by his flashlight. Before moving, he tried to touch the floor first.

'Alright, time for my plan.' He prayed to everyone he knows before getting out of the vent. 

'I can't disturb that animatronic, right? As long as I'm not in that thing's field of sight, it's okay for me to not duck.' I rubbed my shoes on the floor before running straight and slid to the Breaker Room as fast as possible.

"Good job in arriving the Breaker Room as fast as you can. You may now interface with the breaker control box." 'Phew, I'm alive!' He took a breather for a second, his hands clutching on his chest.

"This job is gonna give me a heart attack!" 'Good thing the floor is still concrete! If they installed the tiles sooner, I'd probably be caught by the animatronic!'

"As I was saying, you are now able to interface with the breaker control box. It may disrupt the nearby electronics, so if you feel like you're in danger, you are allowed to disconnect the interface temporarily until it is safe to reconnect." 

"What do you mean by that? Are the animatronics gonna malfunction or something?"

"The possibility of that happening is low enough to spark your imagination. Please restart the system manually." 'What the hell? This guy is insulting me!'

"Fine, I just needed a physical mental support to get me going through the night." He admitted, utterly defeated by the fact that this robot was roasting his entire existence.

"Please proceed to restart the system." He sighed heavily.

"You don't need to tell me twice." He touched the control box, suddenly feeling another presence in the room. 'I'm starting to regret signing up a job in the middle of the summer. This will scar me more than having to attend college after the summer ends.'

"It seems-"

"Don't be too impatient. I'm having a mental battle here." He opened the box and pressed the power button, which made the already dim lights went off. 

He can hear his own panicked breathing, which made him panic more. 'Calm down, calm down.'

"You seem pretty familiar." He looked around to see Ballora right at the door.

"Did I startle you? Sorry about that. Anyway, what do you mean familiar, exactly?" Vincent got intrigued at how the animatronics move like they're human.

"Have I met you before?" He thought for a second before answering.

"I'm sure that this is my first time. If you mean that my face looks familiar, I'm actually William's brother. I came here because I don't know anything about what's currently happening with him. After the disappearance of my first nephew, I can't even meet him anymore. It's been years since I met him. So please, if you see him, send my regards." She took quite a while before responding.

"You should leave this establishment." A music box started playing, and dozens of Minireenas crawled inside the Breaker Room. 

"What the-!" Vincent slowly walked backwards before running away, ducking down to avoid Ballora and sliding his way back to the vent. Coincidentally, lights turned on and HandUnit started speaking from the primary control module. He crawled as fast as he can and returned back to his post.

He didn't listen to what the HandUnit was saying and carved a small compartment under the desk for him to hide in.

"I can hear him creeping around."

"Alright Ballora, stop scaring the newbie!" He opened the door to his compartment and saw the maintenance guy scolding Ballora. He thought that he was safe now and went outside.

"Hey nightguard, sorry about that! Looks like this one is malfunctioning. You can go home now!"