10 - Sam

"My darling, you hold so much sadness in your eyes, I can almost touch the scars of your soul and cry." 

* * *

Sunday brunch. It was a family tradition. At least it had been ever since I came back from juvie. My mother and her husband Richard believed that part of the reason I had become so 'distracted' was because they hadn't spent enough time with me. Now I hear the sentences 'I love you, honey' and 'proud of you, son' practically everyday. Mom and Richard liked to pretend we were all one big happy family. Like Mom had never made the mistake of falling in love with my father and getting her heart broken. Like Richard had never let his ex-wife into his house so she could steal all of his money and run off in the middle of the night.

I had told Mom many times it wasn't her fault I had done all the stupid shit that did. And she knew that, of course, but she still blamed herself constantly. She was a psychology major and spent her days counseling troubled kids. She needed there to be a reason behind my actions and she couldn't think of a reason other than herself. And I didn't want to tell her the actual reason because I worried that would just hurt her more.

Plus I was doing a lot better. I didn't feel so angry anymore.

I had only been in juvie for six weeks partly because my step-father was a cop and partly because it hadn't been that bad.

Things were starting to look up. My grades were back where they were supposed to be. I still had friends that supported me. My family was finally starting to feel like a family. I had a future ahead of me and it actually looked bright.

Today we were having brunch at Bella's. It was a really fancy place which normally I wouldn't enjoy but I actually really liked Bella's. Besides the super good food Bella's was family friendly and wasn't filled to the brim with stuck up rich people.

"Go inside and get us a table." Mom said to me and my step-sister. "Richard and I will find somewhere to park and meet you inside." Abby and I nodded before getting out of the car and hurrying inside.

We were immediately greeted by a hostess. "Good morning!" She chirped. "Table for two?"

"Four actually." Abby corrected her. "Our parents are just parking."

"Four it is." The hostess smiled before leading the way through the restaurant. Bella's wasn't super busy during this time because they were normally a dinner place but on the weekends they opened early for brunch. The hostess sat us down at a table for four in the middle of the restaurant before she returned back to the front doors.

I picked up my menu but Abby didn't bother; she always ordered the same thing. Just as I was reading what was in the omelet Abby's voice screeched out, "Oh my gosh, Sierra!" My sister stood from her chair and practically ran in the direction of a table a few feet from us. When I turned around I realized she was talking to my Sierra. I stood from my seat and followed after her.

Sierra was sitting at a table by one of the windows. There was a hoodie over her head but I could still tell it was her. Her blond hair fell over her shoulders and her brown eyes sparkled in the sunlight that was shining through the window. Across from her sat a man who I assumed was her father.

"Sierra." I said, feeling her name slip out of my mouth before I could stop myself. Her head turned to look at Abby and I and her eyes were filled with...something, I just didn't know what.

"How do you know Sierra?" Abby asked, tilting her head at me confused.

"I tutor her." I said and I didn't miss the way Sierra flinched at my words. "How do you know her?"

"We have history together." Abby said before looking back at Sierra and catching her confused face. "Sam is my step-brother."

"Oh." was all Sierra said before looking back at her empty plate. Her father cleared his throat. "Right, uh, this is my dad."

"I'm Matthew." Her dad stuck his hand out for Abby and I to shake. "I'm glad Sierra has made some friends at her new school."

"Sierra is super nice, you have a great daughter." Abby smiled but I was staring at Sierra. She looked so sad. She stared at the table her eyes glazed over. She was stabbing her palm with her nails and I swear I saw blood.

Abby and I turned at the sound of the door opening and saw our parents walking inside. "Our parents are here but we're going to this party on the beach tonight. It's the last one before it starts snowing. Do you want to come?" Abby asked Sierra.

Sierra shrugged. "I'm okay-"

"She'd love to." Her father cut her off. Even he looked concerned about his daughter.

"Great!" Abby smiled.

"I'll pick you up." I told her and as we were walking back to our table to meet our parents Abby leaned in, her voice low.

"She didn't look okay, Sam."

I sighed. "I know."

Comment and vote :)