Chapter 14

"What?! Get lost, we're having fun here don't ruin it."

"I will say one more time, get rid off yourself from her."

"Why? What will you do lf l don't?"

"I will count to 5, 1...2....3.....4...."

I gulped at the sight of how angry Vernon was. The man in front of me danced sarcastically as lf Vernon wasn't going to do anything to him.

"5. So you have chosen death huh?" Vernon finished those lines with a psychopathic smirk. He punched the man and started kicking his stomach. Though he looked handsome, l panicked because he was really calling the man's 'death'. "Vernon get a hold of yourself, Vernon! Stop!" I tried to remove him by dragging his shoulders, but he was too strong.

"Those who gets on my nerves deserves a taste of their own medicine!" Vernon picked up the man by his collars, the man was bleeding so hurt and he groaned and held his stomach in pain. "Vernon?! Stop! Please! Please." I started tearing up and stuttered. By the moment l cried l saw Vernon threw that man at the corner of the room and stood there silently facing his back to me.

"I am sorry for letting you see this." He said and dragged me out of the room. "Be careful because there's weird people in the world." He coldly said and left me speechless there. I thought he didn't care about me? But he even beat that man out of the care he has. I shook my head because he looked too handsome with a serious face and a psycho smile.

The whole ball party went confusing, l couldn't stop thinking about Vernon ever since that moment. He kept running through my mind and somehow l hated it, l can't have these feelings because he has a girlfriend even. I spaced out often and my parents had to get me out of it.

.....

I parked my car in front of the mansion, l was completely exhausted and scared because of what would happen to me lf Vernon wasn't there. I was quite surprised because l thought he couldn't come. I got out from my car and saw an elderly woman smiling at me who stood in front of the mansion.

"I am happy to see you home, you're exhausted dear. I see you have changed your clothes, but go up and take a shower and dinner is ready." With that she assisted me to the house. I went upstairs then went to my room.

I took a warm shower and it felt great. I dried my hair with my hair dryer then changed into an oversized hoodie and a grey sweatpants. I exited my room for the downstairs and saw Vernon sitting there with his laptop.

I took a seat far from him, and he didn't notice my presence. His eyes were fixed to the screen and l deeply sighed. "Here Miss, l heard you like Caesar salad? So l made it today, enjoy!" The same elderly woman served a plate in front of me and l nodded. "Thank you." I said then starting munching on the salad.

I felt a person staring at me but when l looked up, that person just looked away in less than a second, of course it was Vernon. I smiled then continued eating. After eating, l straightly went upstairs.

"That girl is about to become a CEO and she doesn't have any worries about it?" A voice mumbled in confusion.

....

I was scrolling through my phone then a call popped up. The ID displayed the name of Markus. I smiled then picked up his FaceTime.

"Heyy!! Lucia how is my girl doing?"

I felt a little uneasy when he called me his girl, but why? I used to smile at it? Might be a side-effect of not talking to him for weeks.

"I am doing great, how are you? Is work difficult? Did you eat  yet?"

He chuckled, "l am fine!! Thank you for worrying!! I see you're in a new place huh?"

I panicked inside, l don't want him to know that l am married already. "Y-y-yeah because my parents moved homes."

"Uh?? Is it? But do you know, Japan is literally the time machine!! They have so many advanced things and nice nice things and ..."

From that, we talked for almost 2 hours. It was fun and he was so bubbly that made me forget all the feelings Vernon made me feel today. The door slammed open and l looked up, "Here is a mail, somebody wanted to give you." Vernon handed me a package then left the room.

I was really confused then came back to my sense after seeing the package in my hands. There was a small card and l read it.

"Hi Lucia!
Hope you have a good month, l am sorry l can't accompany you once again because l am too busy with my work.
But l want to give you the Japanese cakes and chocolates because you always talk about it. Hope you can remember of me from these and no need to thank me.
Let's see each other after a few days and wait for me patiently.
From Markus."

I gasped in excitement then started ripping the package to see my dream food. I was so happy even though these were so cheap. I started eating those while watching a marvel movie.

....

Another morning, today is the real start of my career. I groaned and buried my head to the pillow because l didn't want to wake up already.

I came from the shower and did my morning routine. I took my office bag and went downstairs. I glanced at Vernon who was preparing to leave the house, l ran to him. "Hey, uhm a weird request. My car is acting up so l need a ride. Can l have a ride to work?", "Take a taxi or something else, l am not wasting my time for that."

"Come on, l might have that same situation earlier that night right?" I looked at him with puppy eyes, he rolled his eyes then groaned. "Fine take the keys then go inside, l am coming." He coldly said and l nodded happily.

I was looking through the timetable my new secretary send me then a man entered the car. I looked up and saw Vernon with an annoyed face. I sighed but continued my work.

The whole drive went silent, but to be honest, I must agree Vernon's side profile is the definition of manly handsomeness like God damn, that's the best feature of him. "We're here." He stopped the car in front of my company, "Thank you Vernon." I smiled at him then left for the company.

I entered the CEO's office after greeting the workers and staffs. They were so friendly like damn. But l was struck down in amazement as l scanned the whole room. There was a nicely furnished brown colored desk with my name tag displayed on the top of it and pencils cases and files then documents with a tablet filled it. There was a furry dark blue couch and a shiny glass table. And the weather was so clear today that when it shined from the windows the office displayed a great image and possibly the ideal mind's eye for all people to have a office like this. The walls and floors were painted dark blue and black combined.

I took a deep breath then went to my desk for my start-up.

It's gonna be a long day....

....