"No... It feels like you have linked us together to be able to speak. I feel your power connecting us."

My power? I wasn't using my powers. I didn't ask them to the surface and command them to do such a thing, a thing that I didn't even know I could do. I looked inward to sense my power, but it was already there. Open and in use. I didn't even notice that I was using it. It wasn't a lot of power. It didn't hurt to use it. There was no throbbing pain against my skull.

"It's a rare ability to communicate with one of the Covenant telepathically. It is said to be a gift to those on the path of death... or to use towards those on the path to death... I forget what the books says." Mr. Danvers whispered in my head.

Death? Path to death?

That's lovely isn't it....

Peachy...

"Blair? What is happening? Why are you silent?" Caleb's voice came from afar. I pulled out my head, like I was being sucked back into my seat.

"Your father and I are talking telepathically," I explained. "He says he feels my power connecting us mentally... something about one of us being on the path of death, which totally doesn't sound completely terrifying at all," I told.

"You're talking to my dad...," Caleb said, still stunned.

"Please tell my son, that I appreciate him and that I love him and his mother."

You would think that telling Caleb that his father loves him would make him happy but instead, he let out an irritated sigh and stomped out the room and down the stairs which was then followed by a loud slamming of the door. I swear I could feel the house shake.

"Thank you for letting him know for me," Mr. Danvers said. He seemed a little sad but there was some understanding to his sons reaction.

"I should probably go after him. It was nice to meet you, Mr. Danvers," I said getting up from seat. I gave him a little nod before starting to walk away.

"Blair, it was nice to see you... again. I hope you know that not everyone believes everything the Damnation says."

I turned back and looked at Mr. Danvers, feeling the connection fading away and my inner voice only being my own. I gave him a final smile before going after his son.

In Caleb fashion, he was staring off into the distance leaning against his car. I could sense he was sad and frustrated. He was hurting inside, and the pain was attempting to break to the surface. I waited a moment before approaching him to push away his feelings from myself and to give him some more space. It didn't seem like opening up was something he was used to doing.

"You okay?" I asked walking up to the car.

Turning to me, Caleb nodded his head side to side. I stood next to him looking ahead at the greenery he originally was losing himself in. "You'd think he'd learn his lesson on not using his powers," he sighed heavily.

"He wasn't using any powers. Surprisingly, it was all me and I didn't even know," I explained, hoping it was diffuse any new anger that was building in Caleb towards his father.

"Did he really say those things to you?" Caleb asked with a hint of fear.

"That he loves you? He did," I assured him.

Caleb let out a scoff. "How can he love me or mom, when he chose his powers over us? Mom drinks because of him, because she misses him, because he chose his powers over being with her and his family. He chose power over being able to spend time with me. How can he say he loves me when he didn't choose me?" His voice was hard and fill with disdain. He ran his hands through his hair roughly, trying his best to calm down, or more appear like he was unaffected by his father.

I could say a lot of things to Caleb. I could tell him that he has every right to feel the way he does. I could tell him that his father was weak and that the addiction controlled him rather than the other way around. I could tell him that from what he has told me, his father appears to have stopped using his powers. Whether it is because even one more use would kill him or his power is weak or because he wants to spend what little life he has left to be able to see his son, I'm not sure, but he was still here. I could tell him a number of things but I know none of them would help him with how he feels. It wouldn't erase everything that he has experienced with his father or his mother, watching both his parents fall into a dark hole of their own kind of abuse. It wouldn't erase any of his pain or justify their actions.

I slide next to him, sitting against his car. The sides of our arms pressed against each other and he felt like a rock, trying his best to wall up and not let anything else in.

"Parents suck sometimes," I said, leaning my head against his arm. "Or a lot of the time in our case," I added

"Yeah, they kind of do," Caleb agreed.

"If you ever need someone, I'm here," I offered.

Lifting his arm, he wrapped it around my shoulder, pulling me close into him. I wrapped my arm across him, hugging him back and he said, "Same goes for you, baby girl."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Author's Notes: 

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story! If you liked it, feel free to give this chapter a vote and/or comment. I would love to hear what you guys think, who your favorite character is, anything you would like to say! Again, thank you for your support. See you at the next chapter!