...

"Oh." My eyes drift over Mariya, hating that she's so still and fragile. I lean over her, pressing a kiss to her forehead. Moving my mouth to her ear, I whisper, "I'm here, amore mio. You did so well during surgery." I press another kiss to beneath her ear. "Don't overthink things while you're sleeping. Okay? Just rest so you can get better."

I keep still, taking a deep breath of her, but I only smell antiseptic fluid.

Straightening up, I brush my fingers through her hair.

Seeing her so vulnerable shifts something in my chest until I'm trembling with protectiveness and possessiveness.

I don't want to let her out of my sight. The urge to sweep her up in my arms and carry her to a place where no one can find us hits hard.

I don't want to share her.

Christ, I wish I could tuck her safely inside me.

"You really love her," Aunt Bella whispers.

My eyes dart to my mother-in-law. "I do."

She nods, then adjusts some of Mariya's hair with a trembling hand. "Don't ever let this happen to her again."

"I promise it won't."

She lifts her eyes to mine. "I'll give you a minute alone." I nod. "Thank you." I turn my attention back to Mariya and softly caress her shoulder.

I lean over her again, savoring the fact that she's alive. "I'm fucking proud of you. Thank you for fighting so hard.

" I kiss her forehead and close my eyes, drinking in the feel of her warm skin.

"Just rest, amore mio. I'll take care of everything from here on out."