...

Ugh.

Mom shakes her head. "Take only what you need. Your room will always be right here waiting for you."

The door opens, and Dad comes in. Mom presses a kiss to my temple then leaves me alone with Dad.

Lifting my eyes, I meet Dad's dark gaze. We stare at each other for a moment until I feel no older than sixteen. Darting up, I slam into my father's arms and admit, "I'm scared."

Dad holds me tightly and presses a kiss to my hair. "Luca won't dare hurt you.”

I shake my head. "It's the unknown that terrifies me."

Pushing me backward, Dad leans down and looks at me with so much love it makes my throat tighten and tears burn at the back of my eyes. "You've known Luca all your life. He'll be good to you."

But he doesn't love me.

Dad brings a hand to my cheek. "And I'm only a call away. You'll have Lev and Ivan with you as well."

For a moment, I contemplate turning on the waterworks, knowing Dad won't force me to go through with this marriage if I'm one hundred percent against it.

But hope stops me dead in my tracks.

Feeling the effects of the hangover and emotional war waging in me, I let out a sigh. "Do you really think Luca and I can make it work?"

Without any hesitation, Dad nods. "I'm sure of it. Otherwise, you wouldn't set foot outside this house."