30

"It's sad we can't go down to the shore because of the storm." Ms. Choi said as she shook her head, closing the gate.

"Yeah, I've been wanting to sit near there, but there's so much seaweed." Mila chuckled as she looked out at the dark ocean.

"Where's Soobin?" She sighed, shaking her head as she looked around, not seeing her car anywhere. "I told him I was closing at ten tonight, that kid."

Soobin was going to use his mother's car because he had something to do, so he was the one that dropped her off at work that morning.

"How is he?"

"What do you mean?" Ms. Choi raised her eyebrows at Mila's sudden interest.

"As a person."

"Why? Do you think he's handsome?" Ms. Choi smirked as she walked next to her.

"He... is handsome. But I'm just curious."

"He's a very good kid. After he left for college, he listens to me a lot less, but that's because he's growing older and I can't boss him around anymore. But he's a great kid. I'm blessed to have him as my child."

"You're a very good mother." Mila spoke with a small smile her way.

"Thank you." Ms. Choi said almost shyly as she looked down at her feet.

"I kind of wish... I knew what my mother would've been like."

"What do you mean?" Ms. Choi asked softly as she looked at Mila in concern.

"I haven't heard from my mother since I was eight. It makes me wonder what she would've said to me, or how she would've treated me as a teenager, you know? If she would've given advice or if we would've... done things together, like go out to eat like you do with Soobin. I wonder a lot, sometimes, if my life would've been different." Mila said quietly as she looked at the floor.

Ms. Choi reached and placed her arm around Mila's, giving her a comforting smile.

"I'm sure some things would've been different. But you might've not turned out to be as great of a person as you are now. Things happen for a reason." She said softly as she caressed her arm.

Mila felt tears in her eyes, but she pushed them away as she let out a small chuckle.

"I'm not that nice, Ms. Choi. You're thinking too highly of me."

"I think just right about you."

Mila looked at her and smiled softly before looking ahead. She placed a hand up as the headlights from a car hit against her eyes.

She watched the car stop next to them and she recognized it quickly.

"Mila."

"Hey, Mr. Min." Ms. Choi greeted as she waved at him enthusiastically.

"Hello." He spoke awkwardly before looking at his daughter. "I came to pick you up tonight."

"Oh." She said softly before looking at Ms. Choi. "Would you like us to drop you off?"

"No, it's fine, Soobin is probably on his way here, it's not even ten o'clock yet."

"I don't like the idea of you being out here on your own. We could wait with you." Mr. Min said and she considered it before nodding her head.

Mila opened the door for Ms. Choi and she stepped in after jokingly slapping her arm.

Mila sat in the car with a small sigh as her father parked to the side.

She blinked before looking behind her at Ms. Choi.

"I think you should call him. Just in case."

"He's fine, he just sent me a text." She said as she looked at her phone.