The One who Rules them All

We arrived at Rivendell in peace and Bilbo was happy, he had gained inspiration to write his book. He longed to see again the other places he had written about in his book. My brother's kingdom and, of course, Erebor.

I had visited those places before my trip to the Shire, and through magic, I was able to show him with my eyes what those places looked like. Of course, seeing it with his own eyes was something else, but he was grateful for the opportunity. Age was catching up with him. 

Bilbo wasn't the only hobbit who had ever set eyes on Rivendell. Four others had visited as well though under less fortunate circumstances. And the grey wizard had also appeared, bringing very devastating news. My father betrayed us and chose to serve Sauron.

"The enemy is on the move and the Eye is fixed on the Rivendell," Elrond spoke, "our allies are dwindling."

"The treachery is worse than you suspect," the wizard responded, "he is crossing Orcs with evil men in the Isengard, raising an army. They move by day and travel great distances. Surely he will come for the ring."

Yes, the golden ring that Bilbo used to move stealthily on our adventure with Thorin was Sauron's ring. The one that ruled them all. It was the reason Bilbo lived to a ripe old age and showed no sign of aging.

He left it in his house when he left the Shire. In his will, he called Frodo Baggins, his nephew, heir, so that all his possessions went to the young hobbit. But it was with the help of Frodo and his three friends that he came to Rivendell.

"It is not in the power of the elves to harbor such evil, Gandalf," I interjected into the conversation.

"We do not have the strength to fight Mordor and Saruman," said the Lord of Rivendell, "the ring must go."

The time of the elves was slowly coming to an end. Many had already made their way to the Grey Havens, and others followed. To travel to a land where one cannot die, and where only elves can sail. It was a tempting thought even to me - it was something unexplored and new.

On the other hand, it could be considered cowardly at such a time. Leaving at a time when the greatest battle of the Third Age was looming.

I understand, the elves felt redundant. What was the point of elegance, wisdom, and nobility when there were people who had caused many problems with their lust for power? They chose to ignore the words of the elves for selfish reasons.

"Because of the humans, the ring is still here," I spoke up, "the humans can't handle it. After all, because of them, the ring is still here!"

Both Elrond and I had stood on the battlefields of Mordor, we had not forgotten those events.

And then there were the dwarves with their stubbornness and also their selfishness. They couldn't handle the ring either. It was powerful gold, and that's what attracted the dwarves.

Neither Gandalf nor I could keep the ring. Sauron would have wielded terrible power through us.