Members of the Journey

"Something to drink?" Bofur asked as we sat down.

"A glass of red wine," I replied, and Thorin had a beer.

In addition to our drinks, Bofur brought us soup, which was thoughtful, though the cutlery was too small for me. It took me a while to get used to them.

"How was the reunion in Ered-Luin?" Balin asked, "Did everyone come?"

"Yes, envoys from all 7 kingdoms," Thorin replied.

The dwarves were glad to hear that.

"And what did the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dáin with us?" Dwalin wondered.

Thorin let it be known with his sigh that there wouldn't be much more positive news to come.

"They won't," he spoke, and the dwarves looked downcast, "According to them, this expedition is just our business."

"You are planning an expedition?" Mr. Baggins asked.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow," said Gandalf in surprise, "Let's make ourselves a little clear..."

The hobbit nodded.

"... far to the east, beyond the mountains and rivers, beyond the forests and wastes..."

As he explained, he pulled a map from his pocket.

"... there is a single mountain."

"The Lonely Mountain," the hobbit read the inscription, candle in hand.

"Yes, and Oin read the signs, and the signs say that the time has come," Gloin spoke.

"As predicted, ravens are flocking to the mountain. When the ancient birds return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will come to an end," Oin explained.

"What beast?" The hobbit wondered.

"This obviously means the Dread Shmak, the greatest of the devastating catastrophes of our age. It flies and breathes fire, teeth like knives, claws like hooks, adore gold and gems-" Bofur began to explain.

"Yes, I know what a dragon is."

"I'm not afraid," Ori said, rising to his feet, "I'll drive the steel of the dwarves right up his ass!"

His courage amused me.

"Sit down," shouted his brother Dori, forcing him to sit down again.

"It would be a difficult task even with the support of an entire army, but there are only 13 of us and not even the best of us," said the elder Balin, "nor the smartest."

The other dwarves didn't like to hear it, but it was true. It was true that with Gandalf's help, defeating Smaug would not be unrealistic.

Young Fili slammed his fist on the table.

"We may not be many, but we are warriors, every last one of us!"

"And don't forget that the wizard is with us. Gandalf must have slain hundreds of dragons in his time," echoed his brother Kili.

"Well," Gandalf replied, "I wouldn't say that-"

"Then how many?" Dori wondered.

"What?"

"How many dragons have you killed?" He asked again.

"Eruwen has more experience with them," he replied, shifting his attention to me.

"Really?" Fili wondered, and the others were curious. I could see in some of them that they didn't believe me.

"If I remember correctly, you fought against Smaug himself."

"Yes, but he wasn't that big, and he'll come after me as soon as he sees me."

"He doesn't like you?" Bofur asked.

"Something like that. He lost a tooth because of me."

This impressed the group of dwarves.