Arkenstone

The dwarves had to look for Arkenstone and Thorin just stood, watching and waiting. He sat on his throne, and after yelling threats at Balin and Dwalin that it was the King's jewel that belonged to him, and that anyone who concealed the find would be punished, it was decided.

Bilbo and I ran into Balin, who was secretly weeping. He told us what it was like, having experienced it with Thorin's grandfather.

"Balin, if Thorin had found Arkenstone, if, if it was found, would it have helped?" asked the hobbit.

"That stone is the crown of all things. It is the pinnacle of immense wealth, bestowing power upon its wielder. Would it cure his madness? No, my boy, it would probably be worse," Balin replied ruefully, "perhaps it would be better if it remained lost."

I decided to follow Bilbo - she had a theory of her own that I wanted to test.

"You found him," I said, and the hobbit was startled because he couldn't hear me, "that's why you asked, right?"

"If you were in my shoes, what would you do?"

"I wouldn't give it to him," I replied, "just be careful he doesn't catch you."

"What about you and your promise?"

"I will keep my promise... even if it comes at a great cost."

I went back inside, wanting to rest. The fatigue was taking a toll on me, so I went to find a place to sleep. I lay down and closed my eyes, which, probably as always, didn't last long.

"Eruwen," Thorin spoke, which surprised me, "what are you doing here?"

"Trying to sleep, as you can see," I replied, "using magic has taken a lot of my energy."

"There's a better place for that," he responded, "come on."

He led me to a beautiful bedroom where I lay down and fell asleep. I slept through the night, something I hadn't done in a long time.