The Elvish Blade

The cave was not hard to find, there was already a terrible smell from the outside. I regretted for that moment that I had better senses than the others.

"Treasure of the Ogres. Be careful what you touch," came the voice of the wizard who entered the cave first.

We walked in and there were gold coins and other treasures all around us.

"It would be a shame to have it all lying around," said Bofur, "someone might take it."

"True," replied Gloin, "Nori, bring a shovel."

Thorin inspected the weapons and came across two magnificent swords.

"These swords weren't made by an Ogre," he spoke upon closer inspection, handing one to the wizard.

"Nor any smith among men. They were forged in Gondolin by the noble elves of the First Age," Gandalf spoke up.

Thorin wanted to put the elven weapons back in their place, but the wizard's words convinced him that he could not have wished for a better blade in Middle-earth.

"May I?" I asked, and Thorin handed me the sword, "This is Orcrist also called Goblin-cleaver. The blade was forged by the noble elves of the west, House of Elrond, lord of Imladris. This blade has killed hundreds of orcs in its time."

I returned it to the dwarf and took the sword from Gandalf.

"This is Glamdring also called Foe-hammer. The sword of the King of Gondolin," I explained, placing it back in his hands, "Who could tell you more about them is the lord of Rivendell."

"Let us leave this unclean place," Thorin spoke after a moment and made his way to the exit, "come, let's go!"

I set off right behind Dwalin and took a breath of fresh air.

"Does your blade have a name?" Thorin wondered.

"My sword was forged in the same time period as yours," I replied, pulling it out, "It was custom forged for me, the blue color symbolizing the starry sky my father came from, and the golden ornaments signifying my elven blood. The sword has been named Dáglúg also called Dragon-slayer."

I let the dwarf get a better look at the sword.

"Something's coming," I informed the others, when my ears heard something unexpected, I put the sword back and drew my bow. If there was any danger approaching, I was able to fire immediately.

"Stick together," Gandalf shouted, "hurry!"

"Stay alert," he added after a moment, "Eruwen?"

"I hear rabbits," I replied, "and they're coming towards us."