The Noble Eagles

The eagles flew with us wherever they wanted to go. Gandalf would have been glad to fly further with them, but the eagle lord refused - they would get close to people who could shoot arrows at them. We flew as far as the Great Ledge, where the birds gave us a chance to refresh ourselves. They brought twigs and the dwarves prepared a fire.

But of course, everyone was interested in Thorin, who opened his eyes after I got off my horse and put him on the ground.

"What about Bilbo?"

"He's alive... Bilbo is here, safe," I replied.

I helped him to his feet, and once he was on his own, he looked at Bilbo angrily.

"You, what have you done? You almost got yourself killed," he began angrily, "Didn't I say you were going to be a liability? That you wouldn't survive in the wilderness? That you have no place among us..."

Bilbo looked at him in disappointment.

"...I've never been so wrong in my life," Thorin finished after a moment and embraced Bilbo, finally accepting him into his midst, "I'm sorry I doubted you."

"No, I would have doubted myself too. I am not a hero, nor a warrior, nor a burglar, for that matter."

Thorin gave him a friendly smile.

In peace and safety, the dwarves were able to start their dinner. We were in a place that was impossible to reach on foot. Feon lay down and enjoyed the apples and grass I had prepared for him. The dwarves were preparing the rabbits.

"Eruwen," Gandalf spoke up, as he wanted to speak to me privately, out of earshot of the dwarves, "How did the meeting go?"

"Father was there," I replied, "so you can probably imagine how it went. Lady Galadriel was in attendance as well, standing by our side. She stressed that we should solve the mystery of the Morgul blade."

"I'll head to the graves."

"Already?" I wondered.

"I will escort you to the Mirkwood," he spoke, "from there, you will lead them."

"Okay, I agree."

"We'll leave tomorrow morning."

We all slept soundly and set off again in the morning. The eagles helped the dwarves and the wizard get down, I used Feon.